• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

Mot Handbrake Issues

steve@cornwall

Failure sheet shows

"Nearside rear Mechanical brake component has restricted free movement (3.5.1j)"

"Offside rear Mechanical brake component has restricted free movement (3.5.1j)"

All seems to work properly and is fully applied with minimum effort at 7 ratchet clicks - can't even drive off, instant stall (well it is a 1.1.....)

Seems a strange failure for a drum braked vehicle? surely the only brake component with checkable free movement is the lever itself?

Rom

Im not sure on that exact wording...but it is possible to fail a car for having no reserve travel on the handbrake lever.

So if the lever is going all the way up, that may be what he meant.

But ive never seen it worded, so dont know if thats what that means ^^

CosKev

The handbrake cable is over adjusted M8 :lol:

You need a small amount of travel on the lever to start with without the lever pulling the handbrake on,so abit of slack at the bottom you could say!!!! B)

Edited by CosKev

Mikey S
Failure sheet shows

"Nearside rear Mechanical brake component has restricted free movement (3.5.1j)"

"Offside rear Mechanical brake component has restricted free movement (3.5.1j)"

All seems to work properly and is fully applied with minimum effort at 7 ratchet clicks - can't even drive off, instant stall (well it is a 1.1.....)

Seems a strange failure for a drum braked vehicle? surely the only brake component with checkable free movement is the lever itself?

check that the rear wheels are not binding steve. i use this failure for that reason.

if it was handbrake travel it would read 'handbrake lever has no reserve travel'

mike

steve@cornwall

Thanks all !

Nice easy one to sort as the previous owner fitted new brake shoes prior to it failing the mot and has obviously overtightened it B) I've been replacing brake pipes for what seems like days :lol: Car has stood for a couple of years and seems to have had a VERY picky test "heavy surface corrosion on front and rear suspension components, underbody panels and rear brake backplates" = surface staining, Flaking underbody dirt was cleaned off the "corroded" front brake pipes to reveal nice, shiny nickel pipes (not even pitted) and failed on corrosion to all Brake hose ferrules (all but one was only surface) So - just handbrake adjustment, headlamp aim and a new front number plate to go :) and another 205 is saved from the crusher ;):P:D

welshpug

I'd slacken the cables off, check that the drum's aren't rubbing/binding.

If they are, pop the drums off and wind back the adjusters till the drums spin freely, stomp the pedal a dozen times to adjust the shoes back up (that's if the mechanism is working...) then re-adjust cables :lol:

chris-stdt

Ive tryed that before but my brakes dont seem to self adjust

Which parts may need replacing ?

Mikey S
Ive tryed that before but my brakes dont seem to self adjust

Which parts may need replacing ?

its because the adjusters are s*it. you need to remove the drums, slacken the handbrake cable, make sure theres no lip on the drum (grind it flat if neccesary), refit the drums and adjust the rear brakes upto the drums until theres a slight bind. then readjust the handbrake up. about 6 clicks is fine.

mike

steve@cornwall

Went to my new usual place for test - tester said WTF does that mean? (I had checked and the brakes weren't binding and didn't apply braking to the wheels until 2 clicks so just put 2x ? next to this on the failure sheet corresponding to the "ticks" next to the failures / advisories on the sheet as I did the jobs needed. Car passed and I'm none the wiser :lol:

omega
Went to my new usual place for test - tester said WTF does that mean? (I had checked and the brakes weren't binding and didn't apply braking to the wheels until 2 clicks so just put 2x ? next to this on the failure sheet corresponding to the "ticks" next to the failures / advisories on the sheet as I did the jobs needed. Car passed and I'm none the wiser :lol:

DONT WORRY BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!!