• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anulfo

Fuel Pump,ideal Location

Anulfo

post-10528-1228589600_thumb.jpg

Hi,wasn't too sure where to post this topic but here goes anyway;-Im running twin 45 carbs on my 1.9 (installed originally by Skip Brown) and thus from my picture you can see on the top left my Facet fuel pump. At a rolling road session last season the operator commented that these were 'push' pumps as opposed to 'pull' pumps and would be more efficient in operation if relocated in the car near the fuel tank so as to 'push' the fuel through!! I am sceptical of his comments because as i said the whole arrangement was installed by Skips who must have installed hundreds of such set ups.Anyone got any input or recommendations?? Is there a right or wrong place to fit the fuel pump??

Rom

A lot of people mount near the tank.

Personally i wouldnt have it there, for the same reason i dont have the fuel filter there. Any leaks can soon lead to a fire, being so close to the exhaust manifold.

Ive not run carbs on a 205, so cant be any more help, sure someone else will have a more definitive answer. But on any other car ive run carbs, ive always mounted near tank.

marksorrento205

From what Im led to belive from the destuctions that come with the pumps they are to be fitted within a specified distance from the fuel tank. 12 inches rings a bell but dont quote me on that. I have no idea if it matters where its mounted.

Daz_C
Hi,wasn't too sure where to post this topic but here goes anyway;-Im running twin 45 carbs on my 1.9 (installed originally by Skip Brown) and thus from my picture you can see on the top left my Facet fuel pump. At a rolling road session last season the operator commented that these were 'push' pumps as opposed to 'pull' pumps and would be more efficient in operation if relocated in the car near the fuel tank so as to 'push' the fuel through!! I am sceptical of his comments because as i said the whole arrangement was installed by Skips who must have installed hundreds of such set ups.Anyone got any input or recommendations?? Is there a right or wrong place to fit the fuel pump??

Quite a few people including myself have fitted the pump on the inner wing where the jack originaly goes, with no problems at all.

In the fitting instructions it says

Select a location near existing fuel lines and close to the fuel tank, use the vehicles frame where possible.

And then says

if another location is used...... and be sure that the pump is not more than 18"(45cm)above the bottom level of the fuel tank.
NOTE : The pump can be mounted in any position, however, it is recommended that the outlet of the pump be atleast 30degree above horizontal. This will allow any vapour build up to easily pass through the pump.

Its fine where it is IMO other than as mentioned if there was a fuel leak... but remember originally the fuel filter sat there and also there are 2 fuel lines even closer to the exhaust than the filter. Just be sure all unions are tight !!

And a final note

An inline filter should be installed before the inlet of the cubical pump, but is not required with the cylindrical pump.

MrG

and if SB fitted it then personally I'd leave alone, whats not broken and all that, just keep an eye on any unions or fixings/pipework and replace those if you have any doubts.

Sign in to follow this