• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mattbenselin

Carb Air Box

mattbenselin

I have done a big search on this topic and found lot's of useful information but no definitive answer...

I was going to drop my rad and build an air box for my bike carbs with a K&N panel filter mounted behind the grill to feed them. I have seen other people do this (eg smckeown) but have heard that this can cause carb icing at higher speeds.

So...would an plenum style air box be better with a side mounted conical filter? (Again smckeown and shiny have done this). I don't want to muffle the glorious sound of the carbs but obviously want to get the best from them.

I have been thinking about other options such as a baffle in the air box (panel behind grill design) to delfect the oncoming air.

OR how about an adjustable baffle which can be rotated via a cable (mounted in manual choke slider place) so that it can be 'opened' when driving slower and then at higher speeds can be rotated to act as an air baffle?

There is also the drag factor to consider with an open air box design.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Matt

mattbenselin

Had a thought today...just the 1!...

The lower part of the airbox could be a flap which you would raise when on the motorway or fear carb icing to draw in air from near the rad. The rest of the time this could be left down to draw in air from behind the grill.

To control this flap you would use a cable which could attach the a base model manual choke slider.

....thoughts?

scoop.jpg

scoopclosed.jpg

pip470

On cold days you could just block the gril area allowing more heat in the engine bay to build up. Im going to use the k and n style back plate and filter but we won't know if we will get this problem until it happens so untill that time.

Sign in to follow this