• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dcc

Cleaning Engine Parts

dcc

Ive started a thread, but i felt this is slightly different.

What is the best way to clean dirt off engine components, such as conrods and liners etc... before refitting them

Also, whats the best way to clean a complete Head?

I did read about putting it in the dishwasher, opinions on this? is this a bad idea?

Atari Boy

I have heard about the dishwasher route, my wife would cut my balls off if she caught me though....

DrSarty

If you don't have access to a Kerobath (kerosine is heater fuel), then amongst mechanics, it is often agreed about the best degreaser and engine cleaner you can get is modern, unleaded petrol.

EdCherry

I love break cleaner me.

bensonmi

wahey you found an engine! :ph34r: thinners are good for cleaning oil and grime

Redtop
wahey you found an engine! :ph34r: thinners are good for cleaning oil and grime

I'll second that. Use parafin or petrol to get most crude off then thinners for the final clean. It doesn't leave a residue/scum like petrol and parafin does.

jord294

a trick i use, is to buy a big plastic container from the likes of homebase or b&q.

the one i have is on wheels and has a lid, and is big enough to fit a gearbox in

i bought 25 litres of engine degreaser off ebay, and put about 15 litres in the container.

i can then either just let things soak, or clean there and then :ph34r:

pj838

I used a couple of litres of diesel (if that) to clean my engine, and one of those plastic dishwashing brushes. Scrub away the grime or leave some bits to soak :ph34r:.

Doesnt bear thinking about the missus coming home and finding a cylinder head in the dishwasher :)

johny105_y2k

a second for diesel, just wear gloves + old clothes.

allthough i've recently cleaned all my engine bits at work using a thing from safety clean its just the same as a kerobath but sdafety clean .

quite good actually.

Francesco

I use break cleaner or engine cleaner. If it is still not clean, use a steel brush on your drill and with patience you will get things clean.

Masekwm

I used one of these to clean the lower mount whilst I had it off the car, I was shocked by how good it was!

050810020.jpg

Sign in to follow this