• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeT

Replacing Steering Column

MikeT

After the recent attempt by some evil person to steal my 205 I have been left with a totally knackered / bent steering column.

I'm no mechanic but is this an easy thing to change out if I get another second hand or is it a garage only job?

Thanks

Mike

Anthony

Easy enough. The column itself is held on with four nuts, and secured to the intermediate column by a single nut and bolt. Should only take an hour or so even without much spannering experience :lol:

welshpug

check that the bracket that is welded to the shell isn't also bent, mine is still slightly offline and was damaged in the same way as yours was :lol:

BusEngineer

As Anthony says it pretty straight forward, just be careful not to damage any trim as some of mine was very brittle, oh and be prepared for a few bits of wiring to be disconnected and remembered where to put back after!! Always my downfall!! :lol:

hengti

as said, it doesn't take too long; once off, you'll need to swap over the column stalks and the ignition barrel but, again, not too difficult.

i've actually still got a spare one in the shed - you're welcome to it (free) unless you've found another locally; can offer to fit it as well

chris-stdt

I had to take the lower part of my steering column of my stdt off as it was seized (universal joint)

The worst part of which was getting at the pinch bolt that held it to the rack ,it was even worse to get tightened up again as i was under the car and had no room to get my hand in but if its only the top shaft which is bent you should be ok

Edited by chris-stdt

Sign in to follow this