• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lfallgti

Starting Trouble

lfallgti

hi all,

almost completed a 1.6- 1.9 conversion and i'm having problems getting it to start. all pipes and connections seem to be in the right places but it seems to one minute have a spark and fuel, then the next i'll have nothing. i have managed to get it to fire but it doesnt want to do it consistently. i have replaced plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm and have also got an extra ignition amp and coil. i am assuming that if i have a spark the injectors should be firing? all ancilleries apart from the starter motor and alt are the 1.9 items. any help is greatly appreciated.

steve@cornwall
hi all,

almost completed a 1.6- 1.9 conversion and i'm having problems getting it to start. all pipes and connections seem to be in the right places but it seems to one minute have a spark and fuel, then the next i'll have nothing. i have managed to get it to fire but it doesnt want to do it consistently. i have replaced plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm and have also got an extra ignition amp and coil. i am assuming that if i have a spark the injectors should be firing? all ancilleries apart from the starter motor and alt are the 1.9 items. any help is greatly appreciated.

I'd start with checking the lead between dizzy and amp - check the connection and that the connectors in the plug haven't pushed straight out the back of the plug. Also, the ph1 1.5 clip-on cap dizzys have a habit of fraying the wiring where it leaves the dizzy and shorting out

lfallgti
I'd start with checking the lead between dizzy and amp - check the connection and that the connectors in the plug haven't pushed straight out the back of the plug. Also, the ph1 1.5 clip-on cap dizzys have a habit of fraying the wiring where it leaves the dizzy and shorting out

would that be the yellow plug from the dizzy to the black connector?, if thats right it would make sense as when i put a spark plug in the king lead it sometimes sparks when cranking then sometimes wont.

i'm wondering now if i may be moving the dizzy lead just enough when pulling the king lead from the dizzy cap to make a good connection (or bad).

thinking about it, (i'm not near the car now) the yellow plug does look as if it isnt connected fully, i will have to try tomorrow and see whats what. sorry if that all sound confusing

thanks

lfallgti

it was indeed the dizzy lead, will be fixing it tomorrow, have a spare dizzy and lead so should be good to go tomorrow

thanks

Sign in to follow this