• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vicious-monkey87

Brown Multiplug

vicious-monkey87
Ref painting the manifold - a quick clean and brush on of silver Hammerite will do. Just one warning though, it won't look right with everything else being dirty :P

i have it painted now! i cleaned it down with wonder wheels (phosporic acid cleaner) and then scrubbed it with a wire brush, then i cleaned it with a sponge and finished it with a quick sand down and some prep wipes. then i sprayed it red with Halfords Hi-temp paint, its actually come out very very well, looks like its been matt powdercoated!

i'm gonna steam clean the entire engine soon and i've ordered a new gasket set so the rocker cover will be coming off for a some paint! might invest in some new hoses too!

this is how it starts mate, you want to paint/fix up one bit...then think "oh that part beside it looks a bit crap now so i'll do that one as well..." and before you know it your engines out, your car's in bits and you wonder what happened :huh: but on the plus side, at least you'll have a box of fixed up and painted parts :P

f**k it just take it off the road, call it a "project" and start restoring it from scratch, that's what happens to a lot of people on here anyway! :P

yeah lol i can see it happening to be honest! but i don't care because i've always wanted a 205 and i want it to be as mint as possible so its worth the effort!

and its already off the road lol its SORN and it won't be re-registered until its ready to go back on the road!

Yeah, my Mi had a few starting issues and stuff. Halfway through stripping the loom out I found a dodgy spliced starter solenoid wire under the sleeving, but by then I was halfway, so it was a case of halfway back or halfway forward.

So, one completely new, homebuilt loom later :D ..............................and it's still being a cock :):lol:

electrics is one of my strong points although i usually work with car audio, screens etc etc

the idea of ripping out the loom and replacing it sounds a bit scary although i suppose it will just be irritating and time consuming more than difficult!

my mate is dropping a multi-meter round to me in about an hour tho so i'm gonna go and check that the starter wire is actually carrying a current!

i'm buying a new starter just to be safe tho!

welshpug

this is what I did with mine when it was running on Jetronic;

Got happy with some nice sharp side cutters

th_PICT0080.jpg

Bought a set of Ratchet Crimps and some Superseal terminals from Simetek

th_PICT0083.jpg

Replaced the section of starter solenoid from the plug to starter in the process

th_PICT0082.jpg

vicious-monkey87

which plug did you buy from the site? can you link me to the exact same stuff?

was it simply a case of swapping the plugs over?

cheers!

welshpug

erm, in as much as you have to cut the old plug off, push the rubber boots over each wire, strip the wire back a few mm, crimp on the terminals and push them into the connector bodies and lock them into place yes :)

One thing to check, the number of wires in your plug, it does vary on year.

this is what I used;

Superseal 1.5mm 1-Way Female Connector (CON-005)

Superseal 1.5mm 1-Way Male Connector (CON-006)

Superseal 1.5mm 6-Way Female Connector (CON-015)

Superseal 1.5mm 6-Way Male Connector (CON-016)

I also bought these to do the job;

Ratchet Crimp Tool (TOL-001)

Probably could have got them far cheaper elsewhere but seeing as I was getting the stuff from them already and they did a 5% forum discount I got them anyway, they haven't sat unused since though, I've replaced several connectors on the car :D

Edited by welshpug

DrSarty

And I DEFINITELY WOULDN'T steam clean your engine bay; at the very least until you have your electrical issue sorted out. You may introduce a whole new load of gremlins if you hose down the engine and bay.

Priority is to get it working 100% reliably.

Edited by DrSarty

GLPoomobile

I'm going to set the cat amongst the pigeons here, and say that I'm actually not that keen on the Superseal connectors now having used 3 of them. If you need to remove the terminals at any point, they are a complete bastard, and on one of mine one of the terminals refuses to lock in it's slot no matter what I do (it's only the rubber bung that holds it there), so it keeps popping out, and I also had to ponder for quite a long time over exactly which terminal to use in which side of the plug (no instructions included). Would probably be obvious to others, but I faffed about for ages before I got it right.

Now on the subject of the original brown plug, if you really want to keep a plug there, there's really nothing wrong with the original other than it's weather proofing (or lack thereof). You have to remember that they are all a state due to 15+ years of moisture and crap! You could re-use the plug after cleaning it and just crimp on new OE terminals (from Pug obviously) on to freshly trimmed back wires/new wires, and it would be fine. And if you want to keep moisture out, just stick vaseline in the back of the plug around the terminals :)

Edited by GLPoomobile

vicious-monkey87

well my mate is bringing me the muti-meter now so i'm gonna go check the wiring in just a minute

i have just gone out and bought some solder, some heatshrink tubing and a wire stripper so i'm just going to remove the plug entirely if thats the problem!

i see what you mean about the steam clean Sarty, maybe i'll just stick to wiping it all down with a rag soaked in petrol? gave it a quick once over yesterday and it made a massive difference!

vicious-monkey87

ok so i just went out to check the wiring

i tested the starter wire (thick turquoise one) for continuity, it seems to be fine.

however i found what appears to be a broken cable, although it may have happened when i pulled the plug.

what does this wire do and how should i go about replacing it?

photo348xn1.jpg

the red one isn't connected to anything^^

photo349ne6.jpg

the broken wire ^^^

red one at the end!

pug_ham
where would i get a smaller starter from?

and how will i know it definately fits?

A breakers yard or scrapyard where you can go remove it yourself.

AFAIK any starter from an XU engine'd PSA car (petrol or diesel) will fit whether the starter was removed from a 205, 306, 306, 405, 406, 605, Citroen BX, Xantia, XM etc.

Graham.

GLPoomobile

Red wire will be for one of the coolant sensors (either the switch for the warning light or the sensor for the gauge). Look under the dizzy or around the back of the block behind and under the dizzy. You should see 2 similar sensors sticking out (so it'll be the one missing it's wire) and a third sensor with a blue plug.

miamichris

I like what you've done there with the multiplug welshpug..gives me a few ideas for my own project, the wiring is the one thing I havent really thought about yet!

I think its about the only job I don't really want to do, I hate electrics but in for a penny in for a pound I suppose I might as well learn, there isn't much point in restoring the car and not sorting the wiring! :)

I was planning on running new power and earth cables/points and now I think I'll use your method to sort the multiplug. Any other parts that I should pay attention to apart from checking general condition of cables and cleaning up connectors?

Cheers, Chris :)

vicious-monkey87

THREAD HIJACKER ^^^^^ lmao

i'll have to reconnect the red wire tomorrow then!

i really need to work out whether the power is getting to the starter motor first tho!

i took a look under the steering wheel and the wires all look fine at that end, plus the ECU looks like it may have been replaced at some point as it is shockingly new looking!

vicious-monkey87

oh and another silly question :)

i noticed beside the fuel filter that there is a sort of cylindrical metal thing with a filler bottle on the top. there are wires going to the lid of the bottle.

is this power steering? i didn't think my little pug had power steering but i've never actually driven it lmao

miamichris
oh and another silly question :D

i noticed beside the fuel filter that there is a sort of cylindrical metal thing with a filler bottle on the top. there are wires going to the lid of the bottle.

is this power steering? i didn't think my little pug had power steering but i've never actually driven it lmao

lol yeah im a total hijacker :) thought I might as well get my own wiring questions out while we're on this subject! :)

I've got power steering on mine, the reservoir is over behind the passenger headlight/front of battery area so doesnt sound like thats what it is..put up a pic and someone will tell you what it is, can't think what else is around the fuel filter except the servo & brake master cylinder! I bet its the master cylinder you numpty! :D

miamichris

btw thats your brake lines coming out of the "metal cylinder thing", you need those to help stop the car :)

vicious-monkey87

lol yeah i think its the master cylinder then lmao

glad i don't have power steering tho, i want the full 205 experience!

DrSarty
lol yeah i think its the master cylinder then lmao

glad i don't have power steering tho, i want the full 205 experience!

As it's broken and you're not driving it, then you are experiencing it fella. :)

vicious-monkey87

lol that seems about right to be honest!

if i can get it up and running for xmas i'll be happy!

Sign in to follow this