• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
John_B

Top Engine Mount Bushes

John_B

I've replaced the rear lower engine bush with a pug TD one and it's much better but there is still a fair bit of movement.

Do people use uprated top mounts as well? Are the TD top mounts stiffer as well as the lower?

John_B

Oh and any part numbers would be greatly appreciated!

welshpug

standard mounts, with the buffers wedged tight against the bracket with some ally plate :blush: but its ''only'' an 8 valver.

dcc

I think most people use uprated lower and gearbox mounts, and simply wedge some washers behind the threads on the driver side mount to stiffen it a little

Guest mjs87

i bought the BM baker kit which i fitted and thought they would be good but they wasnt well not to my taste far too much vibration i know some people say they do quieten down abit but i couldnt bear it and my mirrors i couldnt see a thing out of any off them just a blur lol maybe if my car was stripped out for the track but it isnt so i just got some off autofive and was much happier

Edited by mjs87

GLPoomobile
i bought the BM baker kit which i fitted and thought they would be good but they wasnt well not to my taste far too much vibration i know some people say they do quieten down abit but i couldnt bear it and my mirrors i couldnt see a thing out of any off them just a blur lol maybe if my car was stripped out for the track but it isnt so i just got some off autofive and was much happier

Holy crap! Yours must have been bad, as they seem to have shaken your punctuation keys off the keyboard!

Bakes100
Holy crap! Yours must have been bad, as they seem to have shaken your punctuation keys off the keyboard!

:blush: ..... and breatheee

On my 306 I only fitted the BBM lower solid rubber mount, there was some vibration at around 1500 rpm but after that it was fine.

Have the full set on my 205 and they seem to be pretty much the same, engine hardly moves anywhere.

Edited by Bakes100

hengti

i had a full set of uprated mounts on mine and really liked them - easily the best of the (admittedly) small number of mods i made to it. it was the top mount that made the most difference - gear change was much nicer and it even turned in better whilst it was fitted. it's also the mount that i thought transmitted the most vibration, so i'd swap it for an OE mount during the winter (it was predominantly a daily driver but was also used on track during the summer).

it was always run with standard buffers though (shimmed up to meet the mount) as the uprated buffers made it absolutely unbearable - they 'absorb' very little of the vibration that the stiffer top mount generates and seemed to be of no benefit over the standard buffers.

Ethos
standard mounts, with the buffers wedged tight against the bracket with some ally plate ;) but its ''only'' an 8 valver.

Could you take a pic so I can see exactly what is done please mate?

Tempted to do the same on the mi16.

Masekwm

I've just had a new drivers side top mount delivered. What is the best way to move the old one?

Not to worry, I've found an old thread ;)

Edited by Masekwm

mat1227
Could you take a pic so I can see exactly what is done please mate?

Tempted to do the same on the mi16.

I'd be very interested to see this too?

Cheers :)

Mat

welshpug

yep, shall get a picture tomorrow if I remember :)

philfingers

Done mine today too (installing an Mi) so will get a pic of what I've done. When I fitted the upated (PTS) mounts to my 309 I could feel the engine wasn't moving so much when I threw it into a corner. They do quieten down after a while. I commuted from Birmingham to Aberdeen a number of times in mine and it wasn't obtrusive.

richard

Have full BM Baker kit. All GrpN level and top engine mounts are packed. GrpN top mounts.

Everything vibrates. Dash vibrates, steering wheel vibrates which can get on your tits after 5 hours driving across the country, rear view mirror is pointless. But the worst bit for me is the vibration through the pedals.

Saying that though, the transformation they made to the car in combination with everything else that was changed made it worthwhile. If your using it for fast road or track use then do it. Otherwise if its a daily driver you might be best staying with OE.

Personally speaking.

mat1227

OK thanks chaps, interesting

Anulfo

I spoke to Stew at BBM and he is currently trialling a new top mount that sounds like it is going to be good!!!As description over the phone it pretty much welds the top of the engine in there solid with just bottom arm bushes to cushion it!!!Don't think it will be much cop for road cars though.Be interested to see how it works out.

philfingers

Pics as promised

IMG_9013.jpg

IMG_9014.jpg

Edited by philfingers

Baz

That's how i do it also, using the old 3rd buffer trick as Phil. :lol:

John_B

OK thanks for all the replies, I didn't get back to this for a while what with holidays etc. I'm not going to go for the BBM/ group N type bushes, I've tried the BBM lower mount and could put up with the vibrations but the extra noise got on my nerves, I may go back but I'll try the standard ones first.

The vertical smaller lower bush seems to be the same for the petrol and diesel XU, and also for the turbo diesel, the number I have is 180904. The right side upper bush, the screw on one, also seems to be the same for all models: 184442.

For the left side gearbox mount I seem to have 3 different numbers. Either 184382 or 184395 for the petrol XU, 184395 for the diesel XU and 184397 for the turbo diesel. Anyone know if all of these will fit? Is the turbo diesel one stiffer as with the bottom mount? Are the other numbers correct?

Are they easy to fit?

Ta.

Baz

I now run VibraTechnics top mounts on a couple of my cars, 'fast road' on 1.6, and a special 'Race' version on the Mi (both basically solid with a small bit of rubber) and they seem very good, although back to back no better than the BBM kit really, although i'd expect the VT ones to out-last the BBM ones.

Sign in to follow this