• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nimmo

Plastic Trim Dye

nimmo

can anyone put me on to a place where i can get black plastic trim dye need to do the exterior of the 205.

philfingers

plasticare on ebay

Retro Pug

I've always used meguire's gold class trim detailer... very good lasts up to two weeks. - depending on weather.

A local car valeting company has just tried a new product on my trim from Autosmart called Trim Ultra. It has lasted about a month and the car has been washed at least three times and still looks great. I'd go for this.

Goliath

Do you mean a permanent dye for restoring the faded bumpers or do you mean a blackener type dye that you would expect to use everytime you wash the car to bring out the shine in the bumpers?

nimmo
Do you mean a permanent dye for restoring the faded bumpers or do you mean a blackener type dye that you would expect to use everytime you wash the car to bring out the shine in the bumpers?

its the dye for restoring faded bumpers mate.

boombang

Taking them off, clean up, degrease, then spray with the Halfords bumper paint does the job far better IMHO.

Also means you can get to clean underneath the trim and deal with any rust.

Can also choose between grey and black, and they do a lacquer too.

Few cans does the lot easily if you're careful on the spraying.

nimmo

have a couple of halfords bumper spray there i thought maybe the dye would have been better, what gives the better overall finish, dye, bumper spray,

boombang

Bumper spray imho, although like all spraying preparation and working in clean environment is the key.

Super Josh

I've got some of that at work Kev, haven't tried it yet though.

The bumper paint is okay, but you really need to prep it well. I painted all of my trim with the Halfords flexible trim spray and most of it is still looking okay apart from the rear bumper that has started to flake badly. Which I put down to many years of bumper snot getting ingrained in the plastic and not coming off completely when I cleaned them up before spraying.

Josh

TRYNKEEPUP

i had this trouble with my bumpers and archs, tried all the sprays etc etc, i now use autoglym plastic care cant rerember proper name but it has a green label and its like a green jelly my faded trim now looks brand new and shiney and lasts, try it its only bout £7 from halfords

mr_exe

I've used Wurth Plastic dye, expensive but well worth the money, and it only needs to be done the once.

omega

try the heat gun trick works for me

chocolate_o_brian

I'll speak from my own opinion on this if I may.

My bumper/side trimmings were in a sorry state. a Mate of mien who regurlarly helps me out on my car suggested these folk (plasticare) on Ebay. For £10 and a little postage, I thought "what the hell" as I don't personally trust Halfords paints.

Anywho look at this thread for my whole write up. http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry852032

Basically I recommend. The finish over time isn't perfect any more, but as others have said I didn't have a good prep for the work. Was in the open air and just "rubbed" the trimmings down with a rag. Really the whole car should have been washed thoroughly and dried/de-greased. I'm personally gonna buy another bottle from these guys and do it again in a mates garage or something over the course of a day.

weejp
i had this trouble with my bumpers and archs, tried all the sprays etc etc, i now use autoglym plastic care cant rerember proper name but it has a green label and its like a green jelly my faded trim now looks brand new and shiney and lasts, try it its only bout £7 from halfords

Agree with you on the Autoglym Bumper Care product, works brilliantly for me too.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165682

I've tried a few over the years and this is definitely the best 'dressing' product for bumpers, trim, etc that I've ever used. Always gets positive comments, people asking 'how come my old plastics still look like new?'

Although if the trim is severely faded and has had no attention for years then a dye or painting might be the only solution. Whatever you choose - good luck.!!!

CosKev
try the heat gun trick works for me

And me :)

Could not believe how my 309 Gti trim and bumpers came up with the heat gun B)

Pics speak a 1000 words :wub:

100_2711.jpg

100_2714.jpg

100_2717.jpg

B)

rubyna

Im the same, ive used plasticare off ebay myself i found their stuff good but you really want use of a garage, give the plastics a good ole clean 1st and get some motor masking tape and be prepaired to put aside the biggest part of the day or even better let it dry off over night.. Meguiars trim shine restorer is good aswell, it all depends what state your trims are like to begin with... luke

philfingers

CosKev

just how much heat did you put into that tripm with a heat gun? I know it's difficult to quantify but I tried it on my 205 plastics and it didn't make much difference and I also tried that Autoglym stuff with the green label and I wasn't that impressed with that. Your's have come up really good tho. I'm going to try the plasticare stuff. it comes from the USA but when I was there I never got chance to buy any,

Phil

205Rog

Cheap option that works really really well is Kiwi Black shoe polish £1.99, make sure you get the one in a bottle with the foam applicator. available from any supermarket...

Treated mine in July and still looks good to date...

philfingers

i just ordered some and will post results when i get chance, could be a while tho as the engine isn't even in yet!

vicious-monkey87

i'm very impressed with the heat gun pics! i'll deffo have to try that soon!

bensonmi

wd40 rub it in with a rag nice easy and quick, doesnt last all that long tho!

davey sprocket
And me :o

Could not believe how my 309 Gti trim and bumpers came up with the heat gun B)

Pics speak a 1000 words B)

100_2714.jpg

:D

Very impressive....please tell us that this is not a wind up though...... :D

....I'm looking at the overspray on the floor behind, it looks distinctly like the colour of your treated trims!! ;)

omega

no this is not a wind up.get the heatgun and warmup the plastic ALWAYS keep the gun moving and ul see the colour start to change it will need a couple of passes.be carefull u dont get it 2 hot as it will distort and be carefull of the red strip.if u do them on the car u have less chance of them distorting.the reason this works is due to chemical changes in the plastic so i was told[but not 100per cent on this prehaps somebody out here will explain]

Redtop

The heat gun works on the side plastics yes, but Ive found it doesn't work on the front bumper. Im gona order a bottle of that plasticare stuff as mine are off the car at the min:).

Sign in to follow this