• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nimmo

Ignition Coil?

nimmo

i am currently fixing up a phase2 205 gti at the moment and i've come across a problem with the ignition coil it seems different to my phase1.5 i drive at the moment i take it there is a differance if so could anyone give me a little advice and maybe a diagram on how and where the coil is fitted to, there is a black box to the right of the coolant bottle is this anything to do with it????

steve@cornwall
i am currently fixing up a phase2 205 gti at the moment and i've come across a problem with the ignition coil it seems different to my phase1.5 i drive at the moment i take it there is a differance if so could anyone give me a little advice and maybe a diagram on how and where the coil is fitted to, there is a black box to the right of the coolant bottle is this anything to do with it????

Ph2 coil's on top of the inlet manifold - follow the king lead from the dizzy

Dead centre of this pic

P0922_144432.jpg

Edited by steve@cornwall

nimmo

thanks mate now i see the problem its the wrong inlet manifold i have, when i got the car most of the engine parts were in the boot the right coil is there i take it i have to source the right inlet now, thanks again mate.

Veero

I think all the coils are the same just have different brackets for fixing to the manifold or wing is where the differences are. The later ones were like the piccy above, with 4 recessed bolt holes to fix it ontop of the inlet.

If your manifold doesn't have the fixing points just bolt it to the chassis wherever you can.

welshpug

the wiring is different as well, would be easier to source a manifold and secure the coil as intended.

jackherer
the wiring is different as well, would be easier to source a manifold and secure the coil as intended.

Only the plug is different, they are electrically identical. I've even used an old cylindrical 8V coil on an Mi16 before with the appropriate plug and king lead, it worked just fine.

welshpug

indeed, bar being 3 feet too short...

jackherer
indeed, bar being 3 feet too short...

That depends where you mount the coil... :)

Nonetheless, even if it was necessary, crimping a couple of wires and spade connectors on would still be easier and cheaper (gasket + coolant) than changing the inlet manifold. Especially if you also need to buy the manifold.

nimmo

thanks a lot lads,

trying to source a heater before i go back into the garage its freeezin in there.

steve@cornwall

Or make up a bracket to fit between the coil (mounted on spacers) and the mountings for the fuel rail?

nimmo
Or make up a bracket to fit between the coil (mounted on spacers) and the mountings for the fuel rail?

thats a plan mate, also the plug that fits into the coil is this attached to the wiring loom or is there a seporate conection.

Sign in to follow this