• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
watford1gti

Wings Again

watford1gti

right ive already posted about a previous problem with the front wing,

ive undone all the bolts along the top of the wing and the one in the back of the arch and the one to the front with the bar,

ive scrapped all the sealent out and it feels pretty loose,but when adding a little gentle persuasion i noticed a crease appearing in line with the front if the strut top every time i applied the force,

It feels like it is still screwed or bolted to the strut top somewhere, ive put my hand up inside the arch and i can feel a little sharp thing like a back of a screw/rivet, is this holding the wing on and if so how can i remove it??

any help much appreciated

matty

Tom Fenton

From inside the car behind the kick trim panel next to where your feet are.

watford1gti
From inside the car behind the kick trim panel next to where your feet are.

thanks for the quick reply 'tom fenton', so am i looking for hex head screw? is it easy to find?

matty

steve@cornwall
thanks for the quick reply 'tom fenton', so am i looking for hex head screw? is it easy to find?

matty

see the tabs on the back of this wing? sometimes there is one bolt from inside the cabin - sometimes both are used. look at the edge of the wing with the door open to find their threaded ends

post-7883-1227558891_thumb.jpg

You do know that the sealant that goes around the rear of the wheel radius of the wing follows a panel that goes to the top of the wing which is also sealed? If you have all the sealant bonding cut from the front of the wing around the front panel and the wing top along with as much as possible from the wing arch (and all the bolts out) pull the wing straight upwards with gently increasing pressure and it should break free.

The flitch panel I mentioned above and the front panel both rise to a sharp point to the top edge of the wing, stopping you being able to pull the wing outwards away from the car - pull up!!

watford1gti

steve@cornwall thanks for the help, pics look like they might solve my problems, im going up to the garage saturday morning ill keep you posted,

cheers matty

Sign in to follow this