• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DM88PUG

Gearbox Removel Be3

DM88PUG

Hello folks

Iv my xu9ja/be3 in the garage and i need the gearbox off tonight lol

Iv had alook at the guide on the forum but afew things are bafeling me..If anyone could awnser afew quick questions via msn id be forever gratefull

Regards Dan

Tom Fenton

Remove starter 3 bolts, remove little tin plate at bottom adjacent to sump, undo all the bolts from engine to gearbox, pull it off the engine, it really is as easy as that, especially if the eng/box is out of the car.

Edited by Tom Fenton

ini

The fastest way of removing the box with the wheels still on the car, is to:

Loosen/remove all the 'normal' gearbox bolts/plate etc.

Remove the 3 bolts from the 'extension' at the back of the box, which holds the speedo drive (long drive shaft goes into it) and loosen the part.

Loosen the two 'J' bolts retaining the long drive shaft bearing.

Gently pull the passenger side wheel/dtrut assembly away from the car, keeping the driveshaft intact, and remove the short shaft from the gearbox.

Loosen the supported gearbox, and withdraw the long driveshaft by pulling the drivers wheel/strut outwards (keeping the shaft intact/bearings in place)

Maneuver the box off the splined shaft, and out under the car, then reattach the 'extension'/speedo drive.

The box will not go back on as easy as it came off with the wheels still on the car.

Peetypug

it'll be a small miracle if the longer shaft just slides out with a gentle pull.

I've never had one just pull out.

I spent nearly an hour trying to take one off on monday night.

I usually use a big hammer and drift, but had to remove the rear bracket this time.

carbers205

Its definitely a complete arse to put the box back on with the drivers shaft still in place.

I ended up dismantling the suspension to get the shaft far enough away!

So taking apart is as these guys say, reassembly can still be tricky even with the shaft out the way, the input shaft will only engage with the clutch when they are aligned perfectly so prepare for a bit of box wiggling to get them together!

Andy

pug_ham

If at all possible remove the wheels & driveshafts. I wouldn't even consider doing this job with the shafts still fitted into the hubs on the car.

I've done one to help out & refitting the gearbox took around three times as long because the shaft kept getting in the way.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this