• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JimLad

Harnesses Failing Mot?

JimLad

Had my car fail it's MOT on a couple of annoying things. One of these was that the harnesses aren't kite marked! Spoke to TRS and they said kite marking died ages ago and the relevant marking is mow ECE 16.04.

Has anyone else had this problem? Not looking forward to trying to convince the tester he's wrong....

Tempted to pull them out and stick standard seat belts in but think the cage (OMP) is gonna get in their way....

Any thoughts/suggestions?

welshpug

sounds like you need a different tester :)

JimLad

Yeah, don't think they'll be getting any more of my business but for now I don't want to have to pay someone else £40!

RonnieG

I wouldn't want to pay someone else £40 either plus it's all computerised now anyway so another tester will see right away what someone else has already failed it on and you might be risking another fail for that or something else.

I would be tempted to internet & print out some of the current legislation so it's not just a 'your word against his' type situation and go back and see the bod that failed it.

jimistdt

This is from the MOT site;

SEAT BELTS

Most vehicles after 1965 must have seat belts, irrespective of that requirement, all seat belts fitted to any vehicle must be inspected for:

• Security of seat belt mountings and locking stalks

• Security and operation of the locking/release mechanism

• Condition of webbing

• Retraction of the belt (it is permissable to manually feed it in).

Notes:

1 For technical reasons the inertia locking mechanism is not checked.

2 On some vehicles the belt is attached to the seat, in which case the security of the seat to the vehicle would also constitute part of the seat belt check.

From here http://www.ukmot.com/index.asp

Baz

The tester's a retard.

craig f90

If this is becoming a serious problem and it should pass, i would get in touch with VOSA and they will observe the test being carried out.

I had a pair or harnesses in my 205 for years and that never failed on them.

I agree with Baz on this.

Edited by craig f90

Guest Mattw205

Hi my dad has an mot station and he says that no seat belt markings are part of an mot and pretty much confirms everything written here. He advises that you report the testing station to vosa.

Hope that helps =)

Masekwm
I wouldn't want to pay someone else £40 either plus it's all computerised now anyway so another tester will see right away what someone else has already failed it on and you might be risking another fail for that or something else.

Only if they enter the reference from the failure sheet :rolleyes:

RossD

Actually, if you read the MOT manual properly, the tester is half right. Adult harnesses need to carry the appropriate British Standard markings.....

"Note 3:

An adult harness belt comprising a lap belt and shoulder straps bearing a British standard marking is an acceptable alternative to any of the seat belt types listed."

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_510.htm - See the Notes section at the bottom of the page.

Edited by RossD

omega

There does seam to be some conflict here watching with intrest

skinner2k3

I had this same problem. The tester was looking for a British Standard/kite mark and wouldnt accept the EU number printed on the harness. Is Britain not in the EU after all!!!!???

Call VOSA and if needs be they will contact the test station. I dont think the tester appreciated me going over his head and having VOSA call them but it got the car through and I wont be going back anyway as the bloke is a prat!

Good luck.

welshpug

Stupid thing this tester probably doesn't know, but even if you fit the standard Factory fitted belts, there's still no BS markings.

Infact, there are no markings visible at all on the front belts!! (tag is on the inertia reel, hidden behind the 1/4 panel trim)

I don't recall any vehicle having the BS marking (maybe due to the fact that nothing is UK manufactured any more, and that EU standards are higher than the BS ones....)

I'd be calling VOSA asap!

Edited by welshpug

RossD

But if you read the manual, seatbelts dont have to carry the relevant markings, just a harness.

GLPoomobile

The issue here is not whether OE belts are marked or not. The issue is that for what ever reason this tester is choosing to interpret the MOT guide book in a way that is at best unfair, and at worst plain wrong.

From reading the original post it seems that the harnesses meet the current EU regulations, but the tester is failing them as he expects to see an outdated marking.

On that note, when they do pass the car, pay them in old pound notes and see how they like that!

nimmo

my pug just passed very recently with harnesses fitted don't recall seeing any type of code on them,

call vosa dude make sure you get the last laugh just don't go back.

Sign in to follow this