• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bensonmi

Mi16 Not Starting

bensonmi

hello! im hoping that someone on here can help me, my car started life as a '89 1.9 gti which i have convertd to a 1. 9 mi16 alloy block using the mi loom which i sent of to pr developements to be a plug and play. i had no luck at first but once i fitted a new starter,battery and jungle juice in it she fired up and ran sweet,all gauges working 2! so i started tidyin up the wires in the footwell and tuckin them away,it still started.the next day then it wouldnt start :huh: so gave everything a shake and eventually it started again but not since that day again! it appears i have no spark and fuel pump not coming on does any one have any ideas or point me in the right direction as electrics are not my strong point. feel free to ask me for more info as i konw my explanation is not the best! thnks to any one who can help me im itchin to take my car for a test drive!

nick

For a start, please turn off your caps lock.....

I would guess at one of the relays being dodgy (a shake usually brings them back to life.... for a while) try both for known good ones and then see how you go.

Nick

bensonmi

sory not good with computers!

it seems the injection relay clicks but cant feel nothing in the fuel pump one these however are on the os wing but it was when i shook down near the brown multiplugs it came alive the first time but it hasnt worked since.i tried puttin a live straight to wire 76 the pump came on but still wouldnt go.could it be any thing to do with the ignition module playing up or another similar component? just waitin for the weather to get better so i can do a few checks with my multimeter.

GLPoomobile

If it worked when you shook the wiring near the brown plugs, I'd think it could be a dodgy connection with either the switched live or the fuel pump feed. Don't know the wire numbers, but on mine the switched live is a blue wire at pin 9 of the 9 pin brown plug, and the fuel pump feed is a white wire at pin 2 of the 6 pin brown plug.

bensonmi

That sounds promising i will be checkin them over hopefully tomoro and i will report back!! thanks for all the help so far

bensonmi

still not had a chance to go out and play bloody raining all the time!

just thinking, iv got the ignition module and plate bolted to the side of my block,is this recomended or should i move it to the body? or does it not matter where it go's?

welshpug

ideally should be bolted to the body away from any sources of heat.

bensonmi
ideally should be bolted to the body away from any sources of heat.

do you think that might have anything to do with the starting problems?

bensonmi

finally had a chance to have a good look at it today.made a few discoverys but still no joy tho!

i checked the multiplug under the dash had constant live so no problem there however the fuel pump wire(big fat white wire) was reding as earth.

checked the relays under the bonnet the brown one clicks when the bat is connected and the green 1 didnt, so i checked it and noticed it had burnt on one of the pins.i dug out a spare relay (am i right in thinkin any relay as long as it fits will do the job??) and now that clicks when bat connected.

changed the cps for one of a 1.9 gti (are these suitable?) but she still wont start. i been following eobs post as he's having the same problems and it seems his ecu is most likely f*kd,is there a chance the same could be true for mine?

C_W

As Nick said, have you tried another pair of known good relays? these caused me a long term random engine cut out problem then gave up completely (conveniently on the EUROTunnel!!). Once it was swapped it started fine.

bensonmi
As Nick said, have you tried another pair of known good relays? these caused me a long term random engine cut out problem then gave up completely (conveniently on the EUROTunnel!!). Once it was swapped it started fine.

the relay is from a xm turbo loom which did work, that i got laying around,it seems to click so im assuming that means it works?

Edited by bensonmi

bensonmi

[now no relays are clicking, what i thought the noise was turns out to be the bloody alarm speaker crackling at me!!! any chance it could be my ecu not sending the signal to the relays? love it if thats the case :blush:

bensonmi
[now no relays are clicking, what i thought the noise was turns out to be the bloody alarm speaker crackling at me!!! any chance it could be my ecu not sending the signal to the relays? love it if thats the case :lol:

still not starting! changed the relays again and another cps, still no spark or fuel pump,any other suggestions to what i could check? getting annoying now!! :)

large

If you have the alarm crackling at you I would rip the alarm out.

bensonmi
If you have the alarm crackling at you I would rip the alarm out.

i would but its got remote central lockingg and been delocked by the previous owner so wouldt be able to lock it if i done that, gutted.it had inobiliser problems before but that got disconnected by a bloodt good AA man,and its similar problems im having now, just turninng over and nothing!

trialster

may seem obvious now, but it's been very damp, it may be worth using some wd40 to drive out any moisture in there which may be in there.

i'm almost ready to put my mi16 into my car, looking forward to this kind of problem :) hah

bensonmi
may seem obvious now, but it's been very damp, it may be worth using some wd40 to drive out any moisture in there which may be in there.

i'm almost ready to put my mi16 into my car, looking forward to this kind of problem :) hah

that is defo worth a try, love it to be something easy like that there was a bit of moisture round the brown plugs cos the bungs missing! bet you cant wait for the depresion that comes with electrical gremlins, but when its sorted it makes it all worthwhile!!

Mikey S
that is defo worth a try, love it to be something easy like that there was a bit of moisture round the brown plugs cos the bungs missing! bet you cant wait for the depresion that comes with electrical gremlins, but when its sorted it makes it all worthwhile!!

have you checked permanant and switched lives are present at the ecu and fuel pump relays? permanant lives come from the shunt box under the bonnet and switched from the brown connector under the dash.

bensonmi
have you checked permanant and switched lives are present at the ecu and fuel pump relays? permanant lives come from the shunt box under the bonnet and switched from the brown connector under the dash.

i got live at the relays ,hvent checked the ecu,is there any partuicular pin to check? got permanent live at the brown connector.is there a sequence in the checks? i just end up getting pissed of with it an doing something else,does my head in!! :ph34r:

Mikey S
i got live at the relays ,hvent checked the ecu,is there any partuicular pin to check? got permanent live at the brown connector.is there a sequence in the checks? i just end up getting pissed of with it an doing something else,does my head in!! :ph34r:

permanant live is at pin 15 of the ecu, which comes direct from the shunt box. off the top of my head i cant remember which pins are switched or earth though. i can check autodata tommorow for you if that helps?

mike

bensonmi
permanant live is at pin 15 of the ecu, which comes direct from the shunt box. off the top of my head i cant remember which pins are switched or earth though. i can check autodata tommorow for you if that helps?

mike

ah if you could please that would be a great help! cheers :ph34r:

bensonmi

bit of a update, got power at the shunt box,power to the relays,no power at the fuel pump fuse,no power at pin 15 at the ecu,and got locked out of the car in the process so wasted a bit of time trying to get back in ha!

Mikey S
bit of a update, got power at the shunt box,power to the relays,no power at the fuel pump fuse,no power at pin 15 at the ecu,and got locked out of the car in the process so wasted a bit of time trying to get back in ha!

DOH! :blush:

right, you wont get power at the fuel pump fuse unless its turning over. there are 3 big wires that should run from the shunt box into the 405 loom. 2 of these feed the ecu and fuel pump relay and the other goes straight to pin 15 on the ecu.

i had the same problem as you are having where i had no power to pin 15, it turned out to be a broken wire in the loom so i just spliced a new wire in and my started first time.

i will get you autodata specs tommorow as im in work then instead of today.

bensonmi
DOH! :blush:

right, you wont get power at the fuel pump fuse unless its turning over. there are 3 big wires that should run from the shunt box into the 405 loom. 2 of these feed the ecu and fuel pump relay and the other goes straight to pin 15 on the ecu.

i had the same problem as you are having where i had no power to pin 15, it turned out to be a broken wire in the loom so i just spliced a new wire in and my started first time.

i will get you autodata specs tommorow as im in work then instead of today.

that'l be great,could be getting somewhere now!! cos it does seem like a broken wire due to it startin that time and not since so it must be something straigght forward like that! B)

Mikey S

righteo!

ignore pin 15, i made a mistake! :P

earths are pin 5, 16 and 19.

pemanant is pin 18.

switched lives are pins 14, 19 and 21.

taken from my 2 row ecu chap.

mike

Sign in to follow this