• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

Really Weird Noise This Morning From Heater

chocolate_o_brian

I tried a search and could not find anything relevant so hopefully this will help me and maybe others.

Mrs was at work today so I goes out at 6.30 to drop her off. Start car up and had the heater swithes facing for windscreen blowing/full heat/approx 1/2 power. Got to the top of my street and there was this god awful plasticy grinding sound coming from behind the passenger side of the dashboard and the left centre part of the console too. Turned the power dial off and the noise stopped. Turned it to half again and the noise came back. Then I turned it to full and the noise sort of remained but quieter. Just to add, somehow I was still driving at this point while fiddling around so the car was starting to warm up.

After a couple mins faffing and wondering what it was the noise pretty much descended into nothing. Heater was on full power and eventually warmed up.

Can anyone suggest what that god awful noise was. If it helps a few weeks ago there was a squeeking type noise coming from the same area whenever you went near 1/2 power and above. this was intermittant and seemed to disappear over time.

Bit confused by this one ;)

Car is an '88 1.9GTi for the record.

j_turnell

Sounds like the bearings on the heater blower too me, may want to look out for a replacement. Its easy to take out just 3-4 cross head screws under the dash, pull it out and see how free moving it is.

Tom Fenton

Standard 205 heater fan noise, sounds like someone is strangling a cat. You can try lubricating the bushes but in my experience this doesn't seem to last very long.

chocolate_o_brian
Sounds like the bearings on the heater blower too me, may want to look out for a replacement. Its easy to take out just 3-4 cross head screws under the dash, pull it out and see how free moving it is.

Could be as it does resemble a plastic on plastic spinning noise - if that makes sense.

What part of the dash would need to be removed. This is something I have never tried so really dont wanna mess it up. Replacement heater blower is over £50 isn't it :lol: eek.

chocolate_o_brian

I have found my problem after faffing about. It is indeed the motor itself. Unscrewed the 3 screws and prized the heater motor out. This was what came out...

DSC00119.jpg

Now first thing I noticed was a bit of play in the motor itself. Where I've drawn the red arrows, it moves in and out slightly.

I turned the heater on while the motor was still out and the noise was intermittant depending which angle the motor was held.

Next up I noticed the wiring. Is this a bodge job? I ask this as two wires disappear in a hole (right yellow arrow) and there is a proper looking connection thing which looks to have corroded (left yellow arrow). I'm asking this as I will prolly source a second hand motor but the wiring concerns me thats all.

chocolate_o_brian

Spoken with my mate who says I've got a spare heater blower at his house, so that saves me the cost at least for the time being.

My main concern is wiring it up. I'm getting the impression that the 2 wires which go into the motor in the aobe picture are in the wrong place. Is it possible for someone to pop theirs out and show me how it's supposed to be wired? If this is modified then I have no chance of being able to re-wire it properly with the spare motor.

Also, does it mean't to just have one brown and one black wire going into it? Nothing else etc, as when I unscrewed the motor, no other wires were connected to it. Nothing, nada..

Flix

When you see the replacement it will be so obvious you'll kick yourself. That'll save me from doing it.

And I'm not popping mine out to show you. :lol:

chocolate_o_brian
When you see the replacement it will be so obvious you'll kick yourself. That'll save me from doing it.

And I'm not popping mine out to show you. :lol:

Not what you said earlier :rolleyes:

I'll probably kick myself once I get to your in the morning mate :D

pete1986

:huh:

This has helped with a problem in my 309. If the heater is on, it will make this grinding noise when going round corners. Funny is that the noise is different when going left or right. A deeper screech to the right iirc. Very odd. I will check out the motor when it stops raining.

Come to think of it my 205 used to make this noise as well, but after a few days it stopped and never came back!

Simes

These are still available from GSF, around forty of the quids.

chocolate_o_brian

All fixed now. Popped to my mates earlier and picked up the spare unit. Seeing the spare showed me how it was meant to be wired. Bit faffy, but after buying some cheap terminal blocks from Halfrauds and messing about for a few mins, it's all sorted.

CaptainP

You can increase that gap between the two red lines if it's rubbing... pop off the centre spindle circlip and pull the fan off. Underneath I put a small piece of tube on the spindel to kick the fan up a little higher. That fan is still going strong on my old GTI :)

Sign in to follow this