• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vicious-monkey87

Can Anyone Help Me?

vicious-monkey87

ok firstly i'm not sure if this is the right section for this thread, i have very limited knowledge of peugeots and i have only owned my GTi for about 10 hours now!

its a 1989 205 1.6 GTi which, if my quick google search was correct, is the XU5JA engine?

ok so basically i picked it up cheap, it only has 80k miles on it, and is currently SORN so i'm hoping to have it back on the road soon.

thankfully most of the problems seem to be small cosmetic defects, interior trims etc

The car will bumpstart but won't start by the key. the fella i bought it off said that it used to run fine for months and then it would stop working and require bumping and then after a while it would sort itself out again etc etc

he said that he had looked into it and that, from what he could find out, it was likely to be a problem with the crankshaft sensor?

my mechanical knowledge is fairly limited, i'm more accustomed to bodywork etc so a friend will be helping me to tackle the engine but i was hoping that some members on here would be able to give me an idea of what it could be or if there are any common faults that might result in this issue?

is there anything else i should look out for under the bonnet? the car hasn't been driven in about a year but the last time it was started was only a few months ago.

thanks in advance!

large

This has been covered a 1,000,000 times. ;)

O.K. will the engine turn over? if no have a look at "The Brown multi plug" this is normaly found under the TB. The blue wire is the one for the starter motor.

to test the starter motor run some wire from the + of the bat to the tab on the starter motor

That shoud then turn if not check your earth on the gear box, just follow the -wire from the bat.

vicious-monkey87

ah sorry if its a repost, i'll have a search now!

i'm not sure i understand your post although i'm sure thats because of my very limited mechanical knowlege!

so basically i should find the brown plug to find the blue wire? what do i do with the blue wire? check its connected properly?

and to determine whether or not the starter motor is working i should simply connect it straight to the battery to see if it does anything?

is the crankshaft sensor not likely to be the problem then?

sorry for all the questions but part of the reason for buying this car was to learn more about the mechanical stuff!

mickie

that brown muli plug under the throttle body is a common fault, they corrode, clean it up and stick it back together

im sure the crankshaft sensor comes into play after the car has turned over and fired up..

if the car wont even turn over its normally wiring or the starter its self

large

Sorry if i don't make any sense it is 2:45 ;) .

Yer you got it the blue wire is on the "brown multiplug". The plug is normaly the problem.

If you fit a wire to the starter motor remove the blue one first, and just touch the other end to the + of the bat it should then turn over or at least mack a clicking sound.

vicious-monkey87
that brown muli plug under the throttle body is a common fault, they corrode, clean it up and stick it back together

im sure the crankshaft sensor comes into play after the car has turned over and fired up..

if the car wont even turn over its normally wiring or the starter its self

ah spot on, i get it now! so it should most likely be wiring! thats good, nice and cheap to fix lol

Sorry if i don't make any sense it is 2:45 ;) .

Yer you got it the blue wire is on the "brown multiplug". The plug is normaly the problem.

If you fit a wire to the starter motor remove the blue one first, and just touch the other end to the + of the bat it should then turn over or at least mack a clicking sound.

righto, no problem mate!

so basically if it bumpstarts but won't start on the key then this is the most likely problem? thats great news, i was expecting it to be something more expensive!

Richie-Van-GTi

there is no crankshaft sensor!!

Follow large's advice, it will either be the earth strap or the solenoid live wire (blue wire). Id say its the blue wire as the earth strap would cause other issues as well.

vicious-monkey87

no crankshaft sensor? i feel silly now lol

gonna have a look at the wiring today! hope thats whats wrong!

omega

also check batt earth lead 4 good clean connection

vicious-monkey87

no probs mate!

i have a battery charging over night so i'll be out tomorrow to have a good look and see what needs done! i'll be so glad if i can sort it all out tomorrow!

bensonmi

i had this problem before and all that hed happened was the wire had disconnected itself from the back of the starter, might be worth alook!

vicious-monkey87

i'll have to go out and take a look later then, i'll be very happy if thats all thats wrong!

i had a mate who's a mechanic have a quick look at it the other day and he reckons that it should start and run fine once i figure out why the key isn't starting it! gonna have a look at the brown multi-connector as soon as i get a chance but it seems that the only way to access it is from under the car? so i need to get a chance to put it up on axle stands!

still need to collect the charged battery from my mate's house, i've been flat out this week so haven't had a chance to look at it, ordered some parts tho ;)

chris-stdt

Probobly doesnt help but here goes

had a flat diesel 205 a while back that used to start on the button without fail but occasionaly when i went to stop it...nothing i could turn it off at the key ,get out lock the car ,put the key in my pocket and walk off and the car would still be running!!!

Arent peugeots great :lol:

Sign in to follow this