• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jamiej

Funny Noise From The Rear, How Easy To Change Wheel Bearings ?

jamiej

As title suggests, i have got a strange noise coming from the rear under heavy cornering, i guess the best way to describe the noise is that its the same noise that you get when a hamster runs in an exercise wheel. You know, that really annoying squeak, incidently sounds a lot like bearing whine.

So, with that said, if im right in assuming that the wheel bearing is on its way out (its silent under normal driving), how easy are they to replace and can anyone recommend the best place to get one ?

Many thanks

Jamie

dirtdog

last time mine went and had to be replaced it was a bit of a nightmare. the bearing itself had seperated so when we pulled it off the whole thing didnt come with it. left behind the further most inner bit if that makes any sense?

I got mine from FMP

miamichris

as part of my rear beam rebuild i've just bought 2 rear wheel bearings. The bearing is part of the hub so you have to buy the whole rear hub section, I got them at gsf for £32 +vat..£75 all in for both I think!

they're with the guy who is pressing in my new trailing arm shafts so he's going to press in the new bearings as well for me, so don't know how hard they are to do, but i'll know when they're handed back to me and he tells me what a bollocks they were to do ;)

dch1950
as part of my rear beam rebuild i've just bought 2 rear wheel bearings. The bearing is part of the hub so you have to buy the whole rear hub section, I got them at gsf for £32 +vat..£75 all in for both I think!

they're with the guy who is pressing in my new trailing arm shafts so he's going to press in the new bearings as well for me, so don't know how hard they are to do, but i'll know when they're handed back to me and he tells me what a bollocks they were to do ;)

Hi M8,

why buy the hubs if you can get the bearings seperately?

Just a point.

Dave

Tom Fenton

You cannot buy a 1900 type rear wheel bearing seperately, as the inner race is machined directly into the hub and cannot be removed.

You can buy a 1600 type bearing as this presses into the drum.

The 1900 type do not need pressing onto the stub axles, they are a light sliding fit, at most may need some persuasion from a soft faced mallet.

dirtdog

oops.sorry, didnt notice it was for a 1900

Para

That's why it's almost twice more expensive :lol:

Sign in to follow this