• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chrisj21

How Easy To Change A Water Pump?

chrisj21

My 205's developed a small leak from i think the water pump. how easy is it to change? ive never done anything to with the timming belt before. is it possible to do it without moveing the belt or having to retime?

Thanks

westy

Doing it the first time baffles you a bit, but once you've done it once, it's easy.

You need to take the cambelt off, so it's the perfect time to replace that and the tensioner.

chrisj21

Cambelt was only replaced last november but im unsure about the water pump as i didn't own the car then. can i re-use the same belt?

Thanks

Mikey S
Cambelt was only replaced last november but im unsure about the water pump as i didn't own the car then. can i re-use the same belt?

Thanks

for the price of a new belt it really isnt worth it.

welshpug

as mentioned, for the price of them its not worth it, they aren't designed to be re-tensioned.

chrisj21

Ok thats a fair point. is an easy job (cambelt in particular) with a basic tool kit ie: no timming light etc?

Thanks

Mikey S
Ok thats a fair point. is an easy job (cambelt in particular) with a basic tool kit ie: no timming light etc?

Thanks

a 22mm socket with a large extension and a breaker bar for the bottom pully bolt, a basic spanner and socket set and its perfectly achievable for the home mechanic.

its quite well documented in the haynes, particulary timing it up with the locking pins.

Edited by pugger

CosKev

Was the tensioner replaced when belt was????That will be ok to re-use if it was :lol:

As above regards the belt though.

I wouldn't do it on your own if you have never done one before,atleast need someone helping you who has done it before.

The timing belt is easy to align on the 8v though :)

The engine mount needs to be removed from drivers side,so eng needs supporting while you do belt,and also needs lifting slightly to be able to remove one of the engine mount mounting bolts. :lol:

chrisj21

Ok that sounds good. would anyone advose driving it with a leaky pump? its just a drip every 5 mins or so. mot on sat to.

Chris

chrisj21

Coskev.

I'm unsure about the tensioner. may replace that to anyway.

Thanks for the other advice.

Chris

johny105_y2k

coolant leaks at the testers discression, 90%will advise.

is this drip ever 5 mins when hot?

whilst at work ( on the busses ) when 1 leaks we usually take it for a long road test and get it hot. if it stops (9/10times it will ) and were short of busses then we'll run it no probs . i wouldn't worry 4 the minute tbh

chrisj21

I say 5 mins but thats a guess to be honest. i think it drips more so when running as theres not much on the drive when its stood over night.

Chris

Mikey S
coolant leaks at the testers discression, 90%will advise.

is this drip ever 5 mins when hot?

whilst at work ( on the busses ) when 1 leaks we usually take it for a long road test and get it hot. if it stops (9/10times it will ) and were short of busses then we'll run it no probs . i wouldn't worry 4 the minute tbh

its only an advisory item so i wouldnt worry about it failing the mot due to a water leak.

omega

can one of u clever guys do a dummies guide 2 changing a cambelt with lots of photos 2 help us guys

Tom Fenton
can one of u clever guys do a dummies guide 2 changing a cambelt with lots of photos 2 help us guys

The Haynes manual gives a perfectly good description of how to do it.

And please don't use text speak.

chrisj21

Small update.

It did fail the MOT but the leak wasn't even mentioned so it cant be that bad. I may leave it for a while and see how it goes.

Just failed on the two front flexi's and a cv boot.

5 Advisories which were:-

1. fraying seatbelt

2. steering ram seepage on nearside

3. rear brake pipes slightly corroded

4. rear brake pads low

5. cracking rear tyre

So not to bad at all imo.

Chris

Edited by chrisj21

Sign in to follow this