• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Moz_Goodwood

Fffffff!ng Exhaust Manifold

Moz_Goodwood

just spent an hour and a half trying to get the exhaust to downpipe nuts off with no luck at all, its to dark now to carry on plus i was losing my temper so ive called it a day until tomorrow

anyone else had this problem? the nuts seem to be coming undone but the springs are just as tight as they were when we started (ive been using spanners top and bottom and going anti clockwise)

any tips on getting it off before i get the angle grinder on it???

its pretty much the only thing left now thats stopping the engine from coming out

kyepan

IIRC, you have to hold one end with a spanner, and then undo the other end, its a long threaded bolt with a nut on the end that is free to spin in place, so you need to get hold of both ends, a pain.

stubbys or ratchet spanners will help. also work out which end is the bolt and be prepared to catch the nut when it comes off.

DrSarty

Equally, as I hope you plan on replacing them anyway, angle-grind the f*ck heads off!!!

But Justin's right really. Best as a two man (sorry: person) job, one over top with spanner, other underneath with long extension on ratchet. That's the easist way I know - car naturally on stands or a ramp.

welshpug

yup, what Kyepan said!

I usually take one of 2 approaches, either from the top with a ring spanner and a ratchet spanner, or from underneath with a ring spanner again and a 1/4" drive ratchet with a deep 10mm socket and a foot long extension :blink:

It may be just me and my bendy arms but I manage to hold both the spanner and the ratchet myself, place a trolley jack under the centre box to prevent it from falling away as the nut comes off the bolt.

Edited by welshpug

Moz_Goodwood

thats what weve been doing, muggings underneath then my mate above, what we haven't done though is undo them equally, does this make a difference?

will give it another go tomorrow any way, will the standard 1.9 8v down pipe meet up with the 2.0 8v turbo lump or will i have to change it anyway? (on a 309)

just incase i go a bit ornimental with the grinder

Edited by Moz_Goodwood

Cameron

A good trick is to undo one side then stick a pair of mole grips on to hold it together. Then you can attack t'other side without having to worry about dropping the exhaust.

I wouldn't recommend putting them back on unless you enjoy this sort of thing so I'd personally set the grinder on the mother chuckers. :blink:

Miles

90% if the time these get ground off, Thankfully having a small angle grinder is a god send, Worse case you might have to cut them off

DrSarty
90% if the time these get ground off, Thankfully having a small angle grinder is a god send, Worse case you might have to cut them off

Told ya! Whizz whizz, brrrmmmmmmm, zzzhhhxhxhxhxhhshshhshshshhshshiiinnnnggggggkkkiiikkkkkkkttttttt 'cut'.....ping (bolt bits hit floor). (REPEAT FOR OTHER BOLT).

:lol:

Rom

When i first took mine off, they had rounded, so the bolt was just spinnign in the top spanner while i turned the nut with a ratchet.

Ive done mine a few times over the years now. I did it once on the floor...never again ! A fittign kit fro Peugeot contains everything you need, worth the money as it will be so much easier next time round.

Moz_Goodwood
Told ya! Whizz whizz, brrrmmmmmmm, zzzhhhxhxhxhxhhshshhshshshhshshiiinnnnggggggkkkiiikkkkkkkttttttt 'cut'.....ping (bolt bits hit floor). (REPEAT FOR OTHER BOLT).

is that the official noise for a grinder??? dont want to brake any copyright laws :lol:

DrSarty
is that the official noise for a grinder??? dont want to brake any copyright laws :lol:

Yes. So don't copy it or I'll sue your a*se!

Moz_Goodwood

steve@cornwall
When i first took mine off, they had rounded, so the bolt was just spinnign in the top spanner while i turned the nut with a ratchet.

Ive done mine a few times over the years now. I did it once on the floor...never again ! A fittign kit fro Peugeot contains everything you need, worth the money as it will be so much easier next time round.

I spent ages at the scrappy once trying to undo these nuts to get a manifold. After relieving many knuckles of skin and a few choice words I left it go.Coming back up the yard later I noticed a couple of guys eyeing up the manifold and said "You'll be lucky" Guy puts a large, heavy screwdriver on the nut head - 2 quick thumps with a BFH and the bolt head disappeared down through the tophat :lol: I've now used this method a few times, but I did shear the mounting lug off one manifold. Worth trying if you have a spare

Moz_Goodwood
I spent ages at the scrappy once trying to undo these nuts to get a manifold. After relieving many knuckles of skin and a few choice words I left it go.Coming back up the yard later I noticed a couple of guys eyeing up the manifold and said "You'll be lucky" Guy puts a large, heavy screwdriver on the nut head - 2 quick thumps with a BFH and the bolt head disappeared down through the tophat :lol: I've now used this method a few times, but I did shear the mounting lug off one manifold. Worth trying if you have a spare

might give that a go as the manifolds got a big crack in it anyway

Moz_Goodwood

i did manage to get it off the other day by way of

a. a big screwdriver

and

b. a big hammer :huh:

Edited by Moz_Goodwood

timmsy19

gota be quote of the week :huh:

Edited by timmsy19

maxi

I get the mig, tack the bolt to the manifold. Deep 10mm socket and a long extension on the nut and hey presto, they are off. Because you have only tacked the bolt to stop it spinning one quick tap of the hammer from underneath will break the weld. Never try to re-use old bolts, nuts, springs. Fitting kit is £9 from pug.

Maxi

Moz_Goodwood

theres no chance of me reusing them old bolts :huh:

bensonmi

jam a screw driver in the top bolts,socket wiv extension from the bottom and hope they undo or atleast snap! grinder best tho

DrSarty
jam a screw driver in the top bolts,socket wiv extension from the bottom and hope they undo or atleast snap! grinder best tho

It's WITH Mr BensonMi!!!!

You are new, so you are let off with a slap to the back of the thigh. Any more text speak, capitals or downright shoddy English and we'll send 'The Crew' after ya!

:)

bensonmi

ha, i guess i 'l have to start using my dictionary and my neatest hand writing from now on! :)

cybernck

from our Rules & Guidelines:

- when asking questions or making replies, make full use of vocabulary and grammar

which means that "txt spk" and "CAPS LOCK" (aka shouting) will not be tolerated.

also, only english language is allowed for use in public conversations

Sign in to follow this