• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tagy

High Pitched Screeched From Alternator Area

tagy

my 1.6 has started to make a high pitched screech from the alternator I think. It only happens sometimes but seems to be getting more often, also it only seems to happen under load.

I have heard this noise on other cars but am not sure what's causing it. Could anyone advise the most likley cause? Thanks.

M@tt

new alternator belt needed by the sounds of things

have a look at the condition of it and either replace or tighten it up slightly via the adjuster

tim_gti

+1 for the alternator belt

Rom

Aye most likely alternator belt.

Turn some heavy load electrics on, fans, main beams, hazards etc. This will make it easier to confirm, but theres not much else that it could be anyways :lol:

easypug

May not be practical at all times but to eliminate the fan belt (or find the culprit). When you hear it squeeking spray some WD40 on the belt, if it goes away then thats pretty much your answer.

Your better off replacing then just tightening as there only a couple of quid and a 5 minute job.

Cameron

Could also be alternator bearings. My brother's rallye made a horrible noise but it wasn't the belt slipping, swapped the alt and problem solved. The old one was in a bit of a state! Check the belt tension first though - 5mm or so under firm fingering.

tagy

thanks for the replys, I had a quick look and the alternator belt does look quite old and cracked on the grooves, I will try and pick up a new belt tomorrow to see if that cures it.

omega

spray on hairspray 2 the belt this stops it dont no how but it works

hexhamstu
spray on hairspray 2 the belt this stops it dont no how but it works

makes it slightly "tacky" or sticky i imagine so it doesnt slip as much.

Cameron

If its old and cracked it would be better to just get a new one rather than bodging it, they're only a couple of quid and can be fitted quite easily.

Sign in to follow this