• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Veero

Helluva Lot Of Noise In The Cabin

Veero

Right just getting the beast ready for the MOT today* and took it round the block a few times to get the rust off the brakes, and my god I had forgotten how noisy it is in the cabin on idle. Rear view mirror is a blur and at the wrong revs the noise is almost deafening.

I have a whole BBM uprated mount kit fitted. Is one of the mounts in particular responsible for transmitting more vibration to the cabin than the others? I guess the lower mount would do so as it's pretty much supporting the whole engine.

Would swapping the lower mount (or another one in particular) for a new OE spec one reduce this?

Cheers

Veero

*I swear the car is cursed. Just going to set off and the hazards/indicators started playing up which would have been a failure, so missed it. MOT now on Friday morning.

jord294

the best set up in my honest opinion is o/e top mount and o/e gearbox mount, and use the solid bush for the lower mount

make sure that there is no movement in top mount, by shimming the rubber side blocks

Anthony

How long have the Group N mounts been fitted for? They tend to transmit an awful lot of noise and vibration into the cabin for the first 1000 miles or so, but tend to settle down noticeably after that.

Veero
How long have the Group N mounts been fitted for? They tend to transmit an awful lot of noise and vibration into the cabin for the first 1000 miles or so, but tend to settle down noticeably after that.

Been on about 2 years maybe, done around 10k miles I guess. They always were noisy but I guess I learned to live with it, dunno maybe in my old age I'm starting to want a slightly more civilised hooning-mobile... :)

Edited by Veero

GLPoomobile
dunno maybe in my old age I'm starting to want a slightly more civilised hooning-mobile... :)

Me too. Driving a modern car for the first time in years (albeit it s*it one) combined with the constant problems I've had with my 205 have really made me start to question it all lately. With all the stress it's given me in the last couple of months it's lucky to still be in one piece. Had it been a 500 quid purchase it would certainly be living on borrowed time by now!

hengti

if you've got the uprated buffers shimmed up to the top mount, try using softer standard ones as that makes a big difference to the vibration

welshpug

check the engine loom grommet is still in place, mine had become dislodged and was allowing a lot of noise into the cabin.

Veero

Yeah I'm using the uprated buffers, will get a set of OE ones and see what they do.

Gromit is in place.

Rom

They are a lot noiser. But as said, they quieten down. But seeing as you havent driven yours much maybe you just forgot how loud it is :)

Mine still has loads of vibrations as certain revs, and generally cant see out the rear view :lol: Though a new more sturdy one is on my endless list.

Ive not tried swappign back to OE ones, i find turnign the radio up helps :lol:

sorr

I think you get forget what a 205 with stiff mounts is like. I did not use mine for a few months and got a shock when I did. Not to mention it caused bits of me to wobble.......must stop eating pies!

Henry Yorke

My brother had uprated ones on his miami and you could feel the vibration right up your leg from the throttle pedal and it was awful, which is why I went for an uprated bottom one only. But then I got a gearbox one and it was fine. I thnk it is the actualy drivers side mount that gives you most of the noise

Veero

Well I got some OE buffers from the scrappy yesterday so will see how it goes today with driving to the MOT.

If it's still bad Ill go back and get he upper engine mount that was still on the shell. Contrary to most you see in breakers the mounts looked relatively new and no persihed and crumbling.

Ethos

So what are the advantages to putting some extra washers on the buffers?

welshpug

Stops the engine flopping about, its what there was meant to be on the early cars, later ones just had thicker buffers.

luggy
Stops the engine flopping about, its what there was meant to be on the early cars, later ones just had thicker buffers.

To aid smoother gear changes :blush:

Veero

Drove it to the MOT and it was better on idle than before. On idle I can now see out of the rear view mirror, it's still loud but the edge of the vibration has definitely been taken off. I might try it like this for a bit. A new exhaust might help the noise out.

All good on the MOT except for a perished front brake hose which they are changing this arvo. I can't quite believe it passed, especially after all my buggering around with the fuelling and AFM, the HC content and CO2 were spot on :blush:

Sign in to follow this