• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rich_p

Front Splitter

Rich_p

I’m toying with the idea of adding a front splitter to the track 309, not purely for looks but to hopefully add a little down force.

I may even extend it underneath so it’s flat under the bumper and part of the engine, much like the super tourers of the mid 90’s.

Has anyone done this or seen any 309 rally/race cars with this done?

It would be handy to take something that’s off the shelf then adapt it.

Any ideas used on 205’s would be handy to see to.

davepug205

Did you watch TopGear on Sunday :):)

welshpug

205 front splitter, AKA sump guard :)

projectpug

If someone made one and sold it to fit a 205 GTI i would buy it :)

Fibreglass or ABS perhaps a bit like the original cossie front splitters.

tom_m
If someone made one and sold it to fit a 205 GTI i would buy it :)

Fibreglass or ABS perhaps a bit like the original cossie front splitters.

have you seen the ones ecosse sell for an arm and a leg?

Cameron

Been toying with the idea for a while.. I wasn't sure weather to make some carbon bumpers or doors. If I made bumpers then I would have moulded a little splitter to the bottom and probably extended the bottom of it back a short way. Anyway, I went with doors. :) Much more weight to be saved there.

TRYNKEEPUP

i wanted a nice splitter for years did look at all different makes. in the end i went to breakers and got one off a phase 1 clio about 1 1/2 inch depth made of rubber £5 and belive it or not it fitted spot on my 205 gti just trimmed ends to suit,

welshpug

I think the OP meant a proper splitter not a lower spoiler adornment...

projectpug
have you seen the ones ecosse sell for an arm and a leg?

No but i am going to try find one now.

TRYNKEEPUP

i very much dought any after market splitter will do anything for aerodynamics or downforce its just down to looks and what look you want

tom_m
i very much dought any after market splitter will do anything for aerodynamics or downforce its just down to looks and what look you want

why? the basic (and i'm going to emphasise BASIC) physics of a splitter is to 'split' the air hitting the car and prevent most of it traveling under the car. the simplest way to do this is to extend the bottom of the valence to bring it closer to the road's surface. this is exactly what manufactures like renault are trying to achieve with the splitter that they put on their cars.

Edited by tom_m

paul_portsmouth

yup exactly had it on my old car even lowered the front bumper was quite high. i put a volvo splitter on it and it made it a hell of a lot less floaty on the motorway

Rich_p
Did you watch TopGear on Sunday :D:blink:

I did see it although I have ben thinking about it for a while and the idea re ignited when I saw a bttc splitter from a 95 Cavalier for sale!

TRYNKEEPUP

when manufactures try something like a new splitter they try it in a wind tunnel to see if its doing its job, when your fitting a splitter in your garage off another motor i dont think its quite the same is it, they spend thousands and thousands doing this you spend £10 and achive the same thing, i dont think so

Cameron

Those things aren't technically splitters though, are they? They're just an extension of the bumper (downwards). A splitter sticks out forwards to split the airflow. It reduces the amount of air being forced under the front of the car and sends it around the bumper or up the cooling duct into the rad. Basically reduces front end lift, improving grip. I think. :blink:

TRYNKEEPUP

i can see where your coming from but even so fitting this type of splitter yourself is going to do naff all apart from looking racey

Rom

It will have an effect. But it wont be measurable or pronounced :lol: (unless you have a wind tunnel)

You stick anything to the front of the car, and it will chance the aerodynamics.

It might atleast give you the 'mental edge' by having it fitted and hoping it works :lol:

vicious-monkey87
i wanted a nice splitter for years did look at all different makes. in the end i went to breakers and got one off a phase 1 clio about 1 1/2 inch depth made of rubber £5 and belive it or not it fitted spot on my 205 gti just trimmed ends to suit,

do you have a pic of the car with the splitter on?

Sign in to follow this