• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AndyJ

Mi16 Head Bolt Spacer Locations

AndyJ

Hi guys,

I've got an alloy block MI16 that i've just had in bits to do the head gasket, of course having done several similar jobs before I had the bright idea of not reading the manual beforehand so I have come to a bit of a quandry when putting the head back on...

I believe this is the same on an 8v XU lump as well, where there are spacers under the head bolts, several sources say one of these is longer than the others and it needs to go in a specific location, otherwise "dire consequences" will occur when you torque them up...but I can't find anywhere that says where it should go... I didn't realise this and I dont know which one is supposed to have the longer spacer.

All the spacers that fell out when I turned the head upside down were the same size, and one remained in place in the front far-left hand hole as you look from the front of the car, so i assume this is the long one as I didnt have any luck trying to pull it out. However when I put the spacers back, the rear far-left bolt sits much higher than the rest when it has a spacer in because its hole isn't as deep in the head, and I don't remember it doing this (I may well have just not noticed when I took it off).

So could someone who has done this before confirm if this is correct before I go at it with the torque wrench?

TIA

--

Andy

DrSarty

They're all the same, all ten of the spacers. It's the casting in the head that's different over the water pump. It's only forgetting to put these spacers in that's bad news.

Tom Fenton

The one above the water pump does sit higher as you say. Nothing to worry about as long as it IS sitting higher!

AndyJ
They're all the same, all ten of the spacers. It's the casting in the head that's different over the water pump. It's only forgetting to put these spacers in that's bad news.

The one above the water pump does sit higher as you say. Nothing to worry about as long as it IS sitting higher!

Aha that makes sense, I'll have my wheels back tomorrow then! cheers guys

Sign in to follow this