• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Painting The Underside, Stonechip, Underseal Or What?

philfingers

I've welded in the seat rails and the underseal has burnt off underneath. Also where the floor was seam welded (by a blind monkey with a stick welder by the look of it!) by a previous owner the underseal has come off and it's gone rusty (surface). What's the best way to seal this? On the inside I have wire brushed down to bare metal and then sprayed etch primer on so far. Going to use primer filler and then top coat, and in the engine bay too. Underneath I was thinking at rubbing down, underseal, hammerite or stonechip. So far I've wire brushed the underneath, put some jenolite on to kill any bits of rust not brushed off and coated with a zinc based primer. I've pulled the underseal off where neccesary but not in the places it doesn't need to come off. I've seen this POR15 stuff too. Basically I don't want to the rust coming back. I hate bodywork/ paint with a passion but determined to do it myself All advice appreciated!

what's the best way to treat it? I have a compressor and paint gun.

Tom Fenton

I would and have used underbody Shultz, you need a specific gun to apply this, but it sets as a tough rubbery coating very similar to OE type stuff. Any decent car paint supplier will have it, comes in white, grey, black.

mr_exe

^^ same as what i've done, as I was lucky and had access to a ramp which made the job a lot easier.

Spiky

will shults stick to anything? as i want to do under the arch's and under the floor pan, but there i a oil resedue on the floor pan from a past leak, will it stick?

welshpug

yeah, sticks to bloody everything!

not a fan of it personally, fine to hide some plates under a grotty ford.

Tom Fenton

No it will not stick to oily crap. Degrease it first before overcoating it.

Tom Fenton
not a fan of it personally, fine to hide some plates under a grotty ford.

Can be used to get the same finish as Peugeot originally used on the sills. The proper way to protect a repair job on the sills or underbody of a car, when applied over clean not rotten metal. See picture.

Photo-0030.jpg

Cabana
Can be used to get the same finish as Peugeot originally used on the sills.

I'd agree with that. Ive always used it when I want an original looking finish, as long as you don't keep the gun in one spot for too long to avoid huge blobs of it builidng up it, it usually does a very good job.

philfingers

Thanks for your advice. I bought a gun from my local paint place and some stuff which is similar which dries clear and gives a similar finish. I'm going to do the place underneath too. I'll post some pics when I'm done. This stuff was £2.50 a can as they were stopping selling it. Bargain. They reckoned 3 cans should do the underneath and front arches

philfingers

This is the end result

IMG_8998.jpg

IMG_8999.jpg

IMG_9004.jpg

IMG_9006.jpg

Underseal was £2.50 a can (used two cans to do two front arches and floor pan to rear footwells. Gun was £12.95 I think.

mainline

Looks really really good, bargain! :blink:

Might have to do similar before I start putting mine back together.

chrisj21

Looks like a very good finish. Does the gun need an air supply or does it use the pressure in the can?

Chris

pete1986

^^ Was just going to ask that. Looks excellent

Mikey S
^^ Was just going to ask that. Looks excellent

there fed from a compressor. i have done the boot floor on my 205 with one aswell. its easy to get into all the nooks and crannies in the chassis with it.

philfingers

all done with a bargain bucket (scruffy and dusty ex display) £50 compressor for B&Q. Only a 50ltr thing. Works great for spraying, just struggles a bit with cut off saws and die grinders. Nice finish for £2.50 a can! They were selling it off. Regular stuff is only 4-5 quid tho.

matty_gti

Would you then top coat that or leave it as it is?.

chris-stdt

looks very tidy ive always used waxoil ,not such a tidy job but alot cheaper as i always wait til the local motor factors have it on offer before winter (£10 for 5l) bargin

It does stink though so try not to get it everywhere :lol:

philfingers
Would you then top coat that or leave it as it is?.

leave as is. Finish is fine. Not the original white but the whole floor pan, front and back arches should be done for under £10 (3 cans at £2.50 + vat), it's a tough, non sticky rubbery finish which should last.

Phil

Sign in to follow this