• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Here's Why Mi16 Inlet And Exhaust Cams Are Not Interchangeable...

Stu

cam001.jpg

cam002.jpg

I found this out the hard way... :lol:

welshpug

but are they fine apart from the keyway?

Stu

I havent mic'd up the profile, but they certainly look similar.

Also, the exhaust cam doesnt have the keyway for the rotor arm base plate.

VisaGTi16v

I dont know much about cams but im sure ive read quite a few times that you can use whatever that common mi inlet catcam is as an exhaust one if you then decide to get one of their more extreme inlets?

Infact I have a handy saved message with those quote "If you want to upgrade at a later date then with a set of vernier pullies the 526 inlet can be moved to the exhaust and a 527 inlet bought (the 527 exhaust is the same as the 526 inlet, making upgrading easier)."

So is it just the standard cams that dont work swapped round or all?

Stu

Maybe the cat cam has another keyway i wonder?

Ryan

Surely the keyway being different just means you can't use the standard method for setting the timing. You have to either do it the hard way, or drill a new timing hole in the pulley?

Baz

I'm sure PeterT's website says his cams can be used for either inlet or exhaust, not sure whether any changes would have to be made or them specifically being ground/made with one or t'other in mind though...?

tom_m
Surely the keyway being different just means you can't use the standard method for setting the timing.

this ^

DrSarty
I'm sure PeterT's website says his cams can be used for either inlet or exhaust, not sure whether any changes would have to be made or them specifically being ground/made with one or t'other in mind though...?

I'll find out when I see him. :lol:

You'll just have to wait a month. :lol:

Sign in to follow this