• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tom_m

Cam Belt Location

tom_m

bit left field but bear with me.

how is the cam belt located? is is kept true by the space it sits in on the toothed pulley on the crank, or does it just rely on the fact that all the surfaces it is running on are true to stay where it is?

if i were to fit a wider bottom toothed pulley to the crank but still used a narrow belt would it wonder around and eventually fall off the cam shaft pulley?

Anthony

As far as I know it's located using the crank pulley, and hence putting on a wider toothed cog at the bottom would be asking for trouble I'd think.

I'm sure that there must be a wider cam pulley of sorts that would fit - diesel something or other I'd guess - and you could use a 16v tensioner and waterpump which should keep the belt on, but I doubt that the cambelt covers would then fit. Otherwise, you could fit a wider lower pulley and then maybe have a spacer ring made up and tig'd in place to fill the gap between the belt and the pulley?

I guess the obvious question though is why?

DrSarty
I guess the obvious question though is why?

It's just a random Moody question...sent to test us all.

He's just bitter he can't come to the curry this Friday. :)

tom_m

just musings on ways to get rid of the stupid double wide citroen bottom pulley, completely forgetting that the whole peugeot range of xu10j2 bottom ends must have 'normal' pulleys without the v-belt for silly pumps attached to it.

had a 6 bottom pulley lying around, but the offest is different becasue they use a wider cam belt... hence the question

time to go on the scrounge for a peugeot xu10j2 bottom pulley me thinks

ablister

yeah, the bottom pulley keeps the belt on it's other pulleys.

Reminds me a while back when i had a partner van with the dw8 diesel engine with all the covers stripped and bottom pulley off. Started it and watched the belt edge closer off the pulleys, stopped it just in time. One of those "oh s*it" moments! :D

Sign in to follow this