• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

High Revs While At A Standstill.

chocolate_o_brian

Is this a sign of running rich or lean?

Did a recent oil change and afterwards when I switched the engine on for the first time, it wouldn't drop below 2000rpm when idling, even warmed up.

I messed about with the little screw in the air meter thing (I know what I mean), and then the car had a thing for stalling when put into neutral when approaching junctions/lights etc.

Fiddled a bit more and got the warmed up idle set at about 1000-1100rpm, but only when properly warmed up.

So when I start the car up on a cold morning, fires up, shoots to 1500rpm, drops straight away to about 500prm and settles at 750ish rpm. Obviously set off as soon as, but say by the time I've got to the top of my street (about 3-400 yards), and turn to wait at a set of traffic lights, it's set idleing at about 1500rpm. It doesn't drop down below this until as mentioned above totally warmed up, i.e. 5-10 miles.

Thing is, if I mess with the screw again to drop the idle, the high cold idle will lower, but will the car stall when cold and will it idle too low when fully warmed up.

It's really blagging my head this one. Had the car 5 months and it's never been quite right. I'm just waiting for a replacement hose and was gonna get the fueling looked at by my local m.o.t. guy.

Also swapped the s.a.d. with a mates so thats not the issue.

Baffled really and dunno where the middle on this one is. I'm concerned as i don't wanna damage a 135,000 mile engine.

dk73
Is this a sign of running rich or lean?

Did a recent oil change and afterwards when I switched the engine on for the first time, it wouldn't drop below 2000rpm when idling, even warmed up.

I messed about with the little screw in the air meter thing (I know what I mean), and then the car had a thing for stalling when put into neutral when approaching junctions/lights etc.

Fiddled a bit more and got the warmed up idle set at about 1000-1100rpm, but only when properly warmed up.

So when I start the car up on a cold morning, fires up, shoots to 1500rpm, drops straight away to about 500prm and settles at 750ish rpm. Obviously set off as soon as, but say by the time I've got to the top of my street (about 3-400 yards), and turn to wait at a set of traffic lights, it's set idleing at about 1500rpm. It doesn't drop down below this until as mentioned above totally warmed up, i.e. 5-10 miles.

Thing is, if I mess with the screw again to drop the idle, the high cold idle will lower, but will the car stall when cold and will it idle too low when fully warmed up.

It's really blagging my head this one. Had the car 5 months and it's never been quite right. I'm just waiting for a replacement hose and was gonna get the fueling looked at by my local m.o.t. guy.

Also swapped the s.a.d. with a mates so thats not the issue.

Baffled really and dunno where the middle on this one is. I'm concerned as i don't wanna damage a 135,000 mile engine.

Ive the same problem?????

Tesstuff

Both do yourselves a favour and change to Bosch Motronic mp3.1 ecu :lol:

Bassman

Might be a daft suggestion, but have you checked the accelerator cable?

I did a camblet change recently and couldn't understand why I had such a high idle afterwards... ...then I remembered I had pulled the accelerator cable to one side for better access and it was now under tension slightly. :lol:

Moved it back to it's original position and the idle dropped!

Could also be a sticky cable.

Rob

dk73
Might be a daft suggestion, but have you checked the accelerator cable?

I did a camblet change recently and couldn't understand why I had such a high idle afterwards... ...then I remembered I had pulled the accelerator cable to one side for better access and it was now under tension slightly. :lol:

Moved it back to it's original position and the idle dropped!

Could also be a sticky cable.

Rob

Hey mate, ive done all that.

It all checked ok, just took her for a spin and she idled at 2k, i then messed with the screw and got her down weel.

Fingers crossed, im going to let her cool and try and see what happens when shes cold and idles down, cheers anyway.

RINRIN

I had the same sh@t after I changed my engine wiring harness. Then the problem solved with a ground connection to tha SAD. ECU was the failure

Sign in to follow this