• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Rallee

Bilstein Group A Coilovers

welshpug

that would be a securing nut for the piston at its base, they are an "upside down" construction, hence the diameter of the visible section behind the spring.

rapidcossie
that would be a securing nut for the piston at its base, they are an "upside down" construction, hence the diameter of the visible section behind the spring.

Learn something new everyday!

Powers

Thanks Tom for your clarification.

Guest rs-tone

"Inverted monotube" being its technical name <_<

Basically there is not much to rebuild in them Euan (if it is you) unless the bronze guides are internally worn.

Why do they need a rebuild ?

rapidcossie

its me alright!

whos this?

There is slight play in them, not bad enough to warrant rebuild just now but they will in the future

205Rallee

Hi Folks,

Wow didn't mean to start such a debate! As I said mine are the fixed Peugeot Talbot Sport rose jointed top mounts. I bought them originally from Skip Brown who fitted the lot back in 1995. I then bought new inserts and rose joints from Peugeot Special Tuning in Coventry (when I was passing the Ryton plant in 1999ish).

I was being lazy as I didn't want to take the struts off to check the part numbers as I won't rebuild them till March when it gets a bit warmer, just wanted to collect all the parts now. The bearing was an SKF one and I kept the number somewhere...but I've moved house twice so god knows where that is.

I can confirm that PTS never did an eccentric top mount. The real deal set up was the tubular wishbones for tarmac use, I think Spiky had a set recently, plus neg camber hubs which had a special offset insert.

Skip Brown are top people for special Pug bits, I was just hoping someone might know where I could get them at a slightly lower price.

Spiky

nuts r us <_<

Edited by Spiky

SPGTi

The PTS inserts are available from :

Special Tuning

Shenpar

WMMS

AB Motorsport

Skip Brown

Peter Lloyd rallying.

They are usually all the same price, I got mine through Shenpar who gave me some PSOOC dicount, I think AB would have done the same. Shop around but I doubt whether the price will be "cheap". The inserts can be rebuilt by Bilstein UK, I think it is £50 per insert.

I think the rose joint is a 47mm one, bigger than the cheaper ones avaible from other sources mentioned. Contact Stew Baker from Baker, Bushes and Mounts, (Stew205 I think), he may be able to help you out.

cheers

Steve

Batfink

The Bilstein coilovers for the 205 are not made by Bilstein directly now though the inserts may be.

I spoke to my distributor yesterday and they are made by Skip Brown and Boardman racing

205Rallee

Any details for Bilstein Uk so I can get them rebuilt?

welshpug

hyssenKrupp Bilstein Technical Centre UK for Special Projects and Damper Service

UNIT 3, Swannington Road, Broughton Astley, Leicester

Leicestershire LE9 6TU

Great Britain

Tel.: 0044 01455 288410 for special projects 0044 01455 283407 service work

Fax.: 0044 01455 283301

Email: richard.anderson@kruppbilstein.co.uk

205Rallee
hyssenKrupp Bilstein Technical Centre UK for Special Projects and Damper Service

UNIT 3, Swannington Road, Broughton Astley, Leicester

Leicestershire LE9 6TU

Great Britain

Tel.: 0044 01455 288410 for special projects 0044 01455 283407 service work

Fax.: 0044 01455 283301

Email: richard.anderson@kruppbilstein.co.uk

Cheers Welshpug that's really helpful I'll contact him tomorrow :D

205wrc
Hi Folks,

Wow didn't mean to start such a debate! As I said mine are the fixed Peugeot Talbot Sport rose jointed top mounts. I bought them originally from Skip Brown who fitted the lot back in 1995. I then bought new inserts and rose joints from Peugeot Special Tuning in Coventry (when I was passing the Ryton plant in 1999ish).

I was being lazy as I didn't want to take the struts off to check the part numbers as I won't rebuild them till March when it gets a bit warmer, just wanted to collect all the parts now. The bearing was an SKF one and I kept the number somewhere...but I've moved house twice so god knows where that is.

I can confirm that PTS never did an eccentric top mount. The real deal set up was the tubular wishbones for tarmac use, I think Spiky had a set recently, plus neg camber hubs which had a special offset insert.

Skip Brown are top people for special Pug bits, I was just hoping someone might know where I could get them at a slightly lower price.

I bought my top mounts from Skip Brown as well, but the rose joints are available from other suppliers. My replacement bearings, I bought from BML (Bearing Man Ltd).

The part number is GEH25ES-2RS. I bought a pair a while ago for a little over £20 inc vat.

As for the Bilstein inserts. I had one of mine serviced at Bilstein last year at a cost of £120. That was £60 for a general service and another £60 for a rod (the thin one that screws through the casing), carriage, labour and vat.

New ones are'nt much more than that, so it might be better off shopping around for prices first before servicing.

The only reason why I had to have a rod changed was that after time, the chrome plating on the rod wears off and wears the seal in the insert causing the oil to leak.

If you want anything competition wise for a 205 you can't go wrong at Skip Brown. Talk to Del........she's an absolute star :D

205wrc
Cheers Welshpug that's really helpful I'll contact him tomorrow :D

The chap I dealt with was John Crooks. He was the contact name I had from Pat Flynn via the 205 Challenge.

His contact number is the same as above 01455 283 407

Guest rs-tone
I think the rose joint is a 47mm one, bigger than the cheaper ones avaible from other sources mentioned.

47mm OD, 25mm ID is a standard size bearing for a Bilstein insert and should be the same from anywhere :D

The 42mm OD, 20mm ID ones are only used on standard damper top mounts :)

Both are standard SKF bearing parts that should be easily available from any bearing supplier.

They are not rose joints

Edited by rs-tone

205Rallee
47mm OD, 25mm ID is a standard size bearing for a Bilstein insert and should be the same from anywhere :)

The 42mm OD, 20mm ID ones are only used on standard damper top mounts :)

Both are standard SKF bearing parts that should be easily available from any bearing supplier.

They are not rose joints

Again thanks for the help. You can tell I know nowt ..should it be spherical bearing?

Was that £120 per strut for the rebuild?

205wrc

The £120 I paid was for one insert - that was service, part, labour, carriage and vat.

bren_1.3

PM'd about all this 205rallee.

philfingers

Take a look here ht

philfingers

Take a look here http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=96101

These are my bilstein legs. Firstly I believe the one set of legs were made by Bilstein. They have their stamp on the bodies and I think these are PTS items. As are the steel top mounts.

The alloy eccentric ones are (as steve pointed out) some other make, possibly TAS.

Both inserts are bilstein BUT they have different threads so are not interchangeable. The earlier type of PTS body had a cap at the top of the body which held the rubber seal in place.

The inserts do require rebuilding periodically. Though they are much toughter and longer lasting than other stuff. A set of Koni road stuff lasted me 2 events and was totally shagged.

Rose Joints are made by Rose Bearings. It's a trade name which as it happens has stuck and is used to describe sperical joints. Mostly these are SKF. Rose Bearings are not cheap. Like describing a water proof breathable jacket as GoreTex when it's some other equivalent basically.

If any one know's who made the second set of mine I'd like to know. They were bought from Shenpar apparently by the previous owner.

Baker BM are designing some new adjustable top mounts. I've yet to see them but I believe they're very nice piece of kit and I will be running them in the car soon

Phil

Edited by philfingers

Sign in to follow this