• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nick9one1

More Gearbox Questions (pull Clutch)

nick9one1

while fitting the XU10J4R I decided to use the gearbox that came with it as my clutch is nearly gone and this gearbox should have covered less mileage than my 1.9. I'm not sure how the ratios compare but cant be much worse! anyway after fitting i have realised that the clutch is different (pull type) so can i bodge mine? or do i need a new clutch cable and/or pedal box?

I also need to swap the speedo cog which doesn't seem too hard, but the selectors seem different too? one fits (shifts backwards and forwards with the stick) but the other does not? (Highlighted red in picture) on the 1.9 box this seems to be straight not bent over the other selector arm. Can i just replace it with the 1.9 part?

My other worry is this box seems to have 3 ball joints for arms to be connected to, the 1.9 only has 2, Do i just not use the 3rd as it seems to be rigid anyway?

and finally how can i tell if this box is a lift up reverse?

12112008080copyhk1.th.jpgthpix.gif

welshpug

yes you'll need to swap the selector from the 205 box, I believe a BE3 cable can be used to work the Pull type levers, 205 does indeed only use the 2 balljoints on the box, due to the different linkage and quadrant design they use.

Miles

Swap the top arm, Be very careful that the selector pin does not drop into the box thou as it lines up with the main gear selector inside the box, Result is missing gear's.

It's a normal BE3 box so I would use a Mi16 Clutch and 205 1.6/1.9 BE3 clutch cable and pedal, I think you can bodge them but thats not something I do.

Also you might find you'll need a new inner CV joint on the N/S as the later diff's have a different offset due to a revised design.

nick9one1

fantastic, I will have a go at swapping the top arm tonight. The gti6 clutch is already in and the gearbox is all bolted up etc so for the sake of more work I think I will stick with the gti6 style clutch for now.. although i it does need a clutch arm, can i take this of the 1.9 box? it looks like it will be the right length but its a pull type, different to the gti6. also if anyone has any info on making the standard 205 1.9 clutch box + cable (pull) work with a gti6 (push) style clutch I would appreciate it!

Sign in to follow this