• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kb_205

1.6 Randomly Cutting Out!

kb_205

hi guys,

my 1.6 has ( since rebuild ) started to idle oddly! sometimes it starts fine and sometimes sounds like a misfire (only on first start up) hav to give it some revs till

its a bit warmer! i have re done done the ignition timing with strobe and adjusted idle screws accordingly, then fitted my Pug performance ECU .

i know the ECU's make them a lil worse to drive at low speed, and for that i just change my driving style a little!!!!

Also if i Brake hard even when warm it sometimes cuts out!! :blink: if it doesnt cut out then the idle just hits rock bottom n goes back up after a while!!!!!!!!

any help would be much appreciated!

regards

keiran

davepug205

Hi,

I had this same problem with the 1.6 ive just bought, if you take out the idle screw (the 1 at an angle) and de-coke it with a wire brush then screw back in all the way, then adjust the little screw behind that till idles at 700 when cold, then wind out the angled 1 till it idles at 1000. This SHOULD solve the cutting out , well it worked for me anyway :blink: I also replaced plugs, leads, dissy and rotor arm which improved the idle aswell. :(

Dave

kb_205
Hi,

I had this same problem with the 1.6 ive just bought, if you take out the idle screw (the 1 at an angle) and de-coke it with a wire brush then screw back in all the way, then adjust the little screw behind that till idles at 700 when cold, then wind out the angled 1 till it idles at 1000. This SHOULD solve the cutting out , well it worked for me anyway :rolleyes: I also replaced plugs, leads, dissy and rotor arm which improved the idle aswell. :)

Dave

oki doke i did already de coke the screw ect and set it up with standard ECU then put in the PUG performance ECU as i had a random thought that if i was to adjust it with the PUG performance ECU on it might cancell out some of the charcteristics of it?? or am i being stupid :blush:

its also got new silicon leads, super4 spark plugs dizzy cap and rotar arm too!

would the engine run at all if it was one tooth out as it seems a bit slugish low - mid range, then be ok high end?? the idle sounds lumpy but thought it maybe the ECU!

could it be anything to do with fueling? i did replace the filter and found no leaks in engine bay or underneath but seem to smell of fuel a bit towards the rear

thanks

keiran

kb_205
oki doke i did already de coke the screw ect and set it up with standard ECU then put in the PUG performance ECU as i had a random thought that if i was to adjust it with the PUG performance ECU on it might cancell out some of the charcteristics of it?? or am i being stupid :)

its also got new silicon leads, super4 spark plugs dizzy cap and rotar arm too!

would the engine run at all if it was one tooth out as it seems a bit slugish low - mid range, then be ok high end?? the idle sounds lumpy but thought it maybe the ECU!

could it be anything to do with fueling? i did replace the filter and found no leaks in engine bay or underneath but seem to smell of fuel a bit towards the rear

thanks

keiran

any ideas??

welshpug

what's so special about the pug performance ecu?

if its a standard engine a standard ecu will suffice, and even if modified, there's pretty much sod all you can do to them bar remove the limiter (not a particularly bright idea...)

jackherer
what's so special about the pug performance ecu?

I believe they alter (or even remove) the overrun fuel cut off in an attempt to cure kangarooing on badly setup cars. In reality it may mask the symptoms but fuel economy must suffer badly.

mr_exe

The Superchips chip removes the overrun fuel cut off, and fuel economy did'nt seem to suffer.

Sign in to follow this