• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jimmer

Tracking Settings

jimmer

just wondered what tracking settings people were running on their 205'5. Mines got 309 arms and being used for sealed surface rallying?

Any opinions much apprciated

cheers

perry318888

i set mine at minus 1.5 (toe out) which will give you that little bit extra when you turn in as it also affects the castor.

regards.

Tom Fenton

How does toe angle change castor angle?????

pug_ham

When I got mine set up at Pheonix Motorsport in Accrington he said for the rally boys he ususally sets them parallel but we discussed the setting for mine & as its mainly for road use he set it with cslight toe in (0.5' iirc) so it didn't need constahnt adjustments when driving on the motorway etc.

I might get it set parellel next time because it doesn't see that much use on the motorway & it drive so much better with it set like it is now. About teh best £60 I've spent on my car since having it. :D

IIRC he sets them to the same, 205 or 309 set up.

Graham.

jengis

still confused why more people don't set their toe settings DIY. Its very easy and saves loads of money trying different settings if you have a bit of spare time. All that rubbish about inaccuracy is misguided, so long as you think about it logically. I have corrected a few cars tracking "problems" after garages left it set way out (using a lazer level, tape measure and fabricated wheel "attachments".

Anyway, it depends how much play there is in your bushes. 205's have lots of toe-out on turns built in to the geometry so don't really need to be set to negative toe. I set it to 0.

Just worth mentioning, compared to, say a 306, the shorter steering arms of a 205 make it more sensitive to track rod adjustments, its very important to get the rack centred and ensure you have equal toe-out on turns both left and right.

Toe won't affect castor!

MerlinGTI
still confused why more people don't set their toe settings DIY. Its very easy and saves loads of money trying different settings if you have a bit of spare time. All that rubbish about inaccuracy is misguided, so long as you think about it logically. I have corrected a few cars tracking "problems" after garages left it set way out (using a lazer level, tape measure and fabricated wheel "attachments".

Anyway, it depends how much play there is in your bushes. 205's have lots of toe-out on turns built in to the geometry so don't really need to be set to negative toe. I set it to 0.

Just worth mentioning, compared to, say a 306, the shorter steering arms of a 205 make it more sensitive to track rod adjustments, its very important to get the rack centred and ensure you have equal toe-out on turns both left and right.

Toe won't affect castor!

Doing it any other way than with a decent (ie.£15k) 4 wheel alignment machine is inaccurate.

Ive done more Geo's that I could possibly count (its part of my job) and the level of sensitivity of the propper equiptment and consistant results is amazing. Im not saying DIY methods wont improve an already badly set up car if done well but they are no match for 'THE MACHINE' :D I personally would only ever DIY my toes as a best guess untill I could get it to a Geo machine (even if I had to pay)

I wouldnt bother with your kwik fit style mirror machines or anything of a simular calibur. I get quite a few of other garage retifactions and although usually equal they are normally toeing in or out way to much. Which is an indication of poor readings rather than poor adjustment, saying this I do get garage retifactions that are not equal and all over the place as well :ph34r:

If you would like a propper 4 wheel alignment you best bet is a large bodyshop, prefrably a chain (they can afford the best machines). Expect to pay around £75.

Obviously the rear axel is not adjustable on our cars and nor is the front camber (unless you have eccentric top mounts) So all that will be adjusted is the front toe.. BUT it will give the current readings and tollerances for everything else giving you an indication of whats bent and how much. You will be suprised!

I have eccentric top mounts and coilovers on my car and Ive found the best settings to be what peugeot intended for the car 20 years ago! (+ 35mm drop) (for a daily drive that is)

0 toe gives the best and most consistant steering feel imo. Ive run 1.5 degrees negitive camber on the front which made the steering that bit lighter whilst still being consistant but gave me bugger all stright line traction. Next time Im going to try 45 minutes or so of neg camber with 0 toe I reckon this will be best for me.

Sign in to follow this