• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Moz_Goodwood

Turbo Vs Turbo

ifcho

Unfortunately we did not have time to put it on rollers, but based on the results against other cars, nearly 250bhp...

The wet liner block had problem, while the car was running on high boost (1.6 and then 1.2) it cracked a liner two times.

Now the car is running on a lower boost (0.9) and a lower rev limiter and there are no problems.

Maybe the liners from a Mi16 would solve that problem..

Tom Fenton

Cheers for the info, whereabouts did the liners crack out of interest?

NOsMAN
i know ecosse used to get 220bhp out of them with only pistons and boost upgrade.

with stock mainifolds,

Dont get me started on this again :blink: seen it ,done it and it was cr4p.. and all done at the above mentioned place. Car runs out of puff at 4500rpm.(half way thru over taking it got extremely dangerous)

The TT is a lot better ,but IMO I still prefer the Mi16 .......... I had all 3 so its straight from the horses mouth as they say :(

Edited by NOsMAN

ifcho

@Tom Fenton, the liners cracked in their thinnest section, where they almost touch one another...

STA50061.JPG

As far as I know this is a common problem with Honda b16 engines (same wet liner setup) and they use a so called block guard, which solves this problem. But I'm still thinking about the mi16 liners, as they seem to be strengthened

edit, here is a pic of the Honda block guard:

b16-block-guards.jpg

I don't know if such thing can be done to a peugeot engine :blink:

Edited by ifcho

Moz_Goodwood
Only one I know of, which is a Lotus Esprit turbo, which uses a pair of Dellortos.

I have to say though, why you would want to go to the hassle of trying to set carbs up for forced induction when an injection system is far easier and probably costs about the same is beyond me.

only because ive allready got a pair of carbs :blink: im not a skin flint honest :(

Moz_Goodwood
Dont get me started on this again :blink: seen it ,done it and it was cr4p.. and all done at the above mentioned place. Car runs out of puff at 4500rpm.(half way thru over taking it got extremely dangerous)

The TT is a lot better ,but IMO I still prefer the Mi16 .......... I had all 3 so its straight from the horses mouth as they say :(

so if i wanted to go turbo then the tt is alot better

how come you prefer the mi 16 over both?

NOsMAN

More reliable .. TT is expensive to maintain properly. spent an arm and leg on it already

DrSarty
so if i wanted to go turbo then the tt is alot better

how come you prefer the mi 16 over both?

Please define 'better'.

On another tack, my guess would be 16valve n/a power is more tractable, rather than larger capacity turbo'd engines which can be a bit nowt-nowt-whoosh-nowt.

I'm afraid I'm in my mate Pronta's camp regarding turbo POWER largely being fake power.

The associated arguments about one conversion or mod delivering 24.2 'turbo' BHP more than another in no way reflect actually how usable the engine is, which is surely the point of doing this in the first place, and is proven entirely by NOSMan's comment regarding him preferring the Mi engine. I suspect he's not the only one; unless of course he's had 2 complete ballbag, turbo conversion experiences.

Another potential proving point of this is the increasing use of smaller displacement turbo'd engines, not only in modern cars but in project cars like Tom Fenton's and that shown by Ifcho.

My comments are not aimed at anyone here BTW, they are just general.

Edited by DrSarty

Moz_Goodwood

mmm food for thought i just fancy doing a turbo conversion while the mi 16 doesnt really interest me so much (not sure why)

dont worry im not going to have a silver turbo badge on the back go faster stripes a large bonnet scoop and a dump valve hissing at me every time i change gear in fact the car will remain 'stock' looking

as for reliability i sought of threw them worries over the wall when i bought into french cars its all about the passion :blink:

dont forget its "the drive of your life" not if your going to make it to your destination

DrSarty
mmm food for thought i just fancy doing a turbo conversion while the mi 16 doesnt really interest me so much (not sure why)

dont worry im not going to have a silver turbo badge on the back go faster stripes a large bonnet scoop and a dump valve hissing at me every time i change gear in fact the car will remain 'stock' looking

as for reliability i sought of threw them worries over the wall when i bought into french cars its all about the passion :blink:

dont forget its "the drive of your life" not if your going to make it to your destination

And I can't talk as I've been seeking a 1.9 rolling shell on here recently to wang in a 406 turbo engine that Pronta's got sitting (still in a 406) on his drive.

This thread has given me some ideas too, but all still geared towards usability (and practicality) NOT outright horsepower.

That means in fact that this 406 engine complete (ECU, loom, IC etc etc) could be used by you if you wanted it. Otherwise we'll use it. Just an idea.

Edited by DrSarty

Moz_Goodwood
And I can't talk as I've been seeking a 1.9 rolling shell on here recently to wang in a 406 turbo engine that Pronta's got sitting (still in a 406) on his drive.

This thread has given me some ideas too, but all still geared towards usability (and practicality) NOT outright horsepower.

That means in fact that this 406 engine complete (ECU, loom, IC etc etc) could be used by you if you wanted it. Otherwise we'll use it. Just an idea.

im allready sort of negotiating a deal as we speak so hopefully that will go through as both parties will be getting a good deal

i want to try and carefully balance reliabilty to power which is why im sort of fancying the more modern 406 turbo over the tt one

i might be wrong but to me the 406 turbo is quite detuned engine (more of a wafting down the motorway engine) where as the tt one seems to be allready as far as it can go with out major money being chucked at it

either way tt, 406, mi16 whatever come spring time the 1.9 gti engines coming out as im itching to get my virginity to conversions out the way :blink: (apart from the carb conversion i did)

whizzer71

We managed 225Bhp and similar lbs Ft in torque at .9 with a knackered 406 turbo lump fitted with t28 turbo + tt manifold / emerald management,very tractable,very useable,pulled it out and stripped it to find the reason for the oil consumption...... excessivly worn bores,now getting 87mm forged pistons / re bore and off to emerald for round two !,The only issue I have with the XU10 engine over the XU9 is the extra weight,however not really noticeable with decent suspension , and of course all the extra pipework that goes along with a turbo conversion,well worth it though !

Ill be posting the results on the forum in the future , so watch this space !

:blink:

Moz_Goodwood

nice one cant wait to see the results :blink:

NOsMAN
i might be wrong but to me the 406 turbo is quite detuned engine (more of a wafting down the motorway engine) where as the tt one seems to be allready as far as it can go with out major money being chucked at it

Its more a case of the other way round..ended up buying a T28 hybrid turbo for the 2.0 litre, high pressure fuel pump, as well as the pistons. and still it wasnt as good as expected.. to retify all the problems you will need a better manifold and a programmable ecu as well as the other previously mentioned items ,hence i ditched the car for peanuts .

Tom Fenton

As I see it the problems with the 2.0T engine lie with the management. Fit a decent ECU and there are gains to be had straight away.

Moz_Goodwood
As I see it the problems with the 2.0T engine lie with the management. Fit a decent ECU and there are gains to be had straight away.

any suggestions to the management? a piggy back ecu or something?

welshpug

any standalone management that copes with boosted applications.

Moz_Goodwood

would you recommend any makes?

Moz_Goodwood

also would this intercooler be allright to use?

it should be small enough to fit out of the way somewhere

Edited by Moz_Goodwood

sonofsam

Whats wrong with the standard management then?

Moz- regarding IC's , its far better to find a proper OE quality item that fits then one of those universal jobbies as there not all that!

That one looks about the right size though, but its running the pipes down to the inlet and outlet that can prove tricky. I would get measuring

if you can and see what kind of space you have? Some BMW TD intercoolers are that kind of shape and should be around the same sort of price

but will be of a higher quality :)

TEKNOPUG

The XU10 has nothing going for it except the iron block and bottom end internals, which are only of benefit if you are considering running a LOT of boost.

Really depends upon how much money you want to spend, how much power and what sort of delivery you want. An XU9 conversion using a TT manifold, standard head, pistions (compression ratio) and cam, with well set up management should yield towards 220bhp with smooth delivery and good characteristics off boost. Which will make it a much more enjoyable engine for day-to-day road driving.

TEKNOPUG
also would this intercooler be allright to use?

it should be small enough to fit out of the way somewhere

Cosworth ones 2&4WD, or look for Punto IC's. Both can be made to fit nicely.

Moz_Goodwood

all going well i should be picking up a 2.0l turbo engine out of a 406 tomorrow night from a member on here, with all ancilliries and an unlocked ecu, also ive just bought a punto gt intercooler

ive had a look on the old search but cant seem to find anything about connecting up the turbo manifold to the rest of the exhaust system (on a 309 gti) any ideas people?

sonofsam
all going well i should be picking up a 2.0l turbo engine out of a 406 tomorrow night from a member on here, with all ancilliries and an unlocked ecu, also ive just bought a punto gt intercooler

ive had a look on the old search but cant seem to find anything about connecting up the turbo manifold to the rest of the exhaust system (on a 309 gti) any ideas people?

The flange from a 205/309 exhaust fits and bolts upto the Turbo exhaust housing.

(sorry this is on a 205, dont know about a 309!)Then it's just a case of either reangling the standard down pipe or custom building one to suit

(my preferred option> 2.5" is about the right size, where as the 205 pipe is a bit smaller in diameter),

depending on clearence you may need to tap the lip up

on the bulkhead exhaust tunnel.

Best to get under there and look after the engine is installed on the top mounts and decide the best course of action

and to determine if the lower engine mount fork needs lengthening?

Moz_Goodwood

just picked up a 406 turbo engine, so watch this space for a coversion B) cheers to s13nick and i hope you enjoy the twin webers as much as i did mate :wacko:

does any one know what the tolerence is for play in the turbo?

Sign in to follow this