• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nick9one1

Gti6 Engine And Gearbox Mounts

nick9one1

I started putting my new engine in over the weekend and all seems to be going well except the gearbox mount doesnt seem quite right. With the bolt tightened as far as it can go the engine is still lower on the gearbox side.if you jack the engine up it seems to straighten out but the gearbox mount isnt threaded to the end so the nut cant go any tighter. Its a gearbox from a XU10J4R if that helps? is it possible to swap it with the mount of my 1.9 box?

jackherer

I had the opposite problem with a GTI6 box, it came up to far and started to clamp onto the mount itself making it rather solid.

The threaded stud unscrewed and I replaced it with one from a BE3 box and it then went in fine.

nick9one1

by the stud you mean the bolt that comes up from the gearbox through the battery tray? - no i havent, the 1.9 box seems to just be screwed straight into the box its self, ie like a double ended bolt. while the 306 one has a couple of m6? bolts to secure it. are they normally inter-changeable?

nick9one1

well I tried to remove the stud tonight but I dont seem to be able to get either off? a 16mm spanner seems slightly to big and so does a 5/8 although not quite so bad, obviously a 15 doesn't fit. any ideas on removing it?

Miles

I always use a pipe wrench on these, Some are bugger's to remove due to lot's of thread lock, others are easy, Some heat helps thou

pug_ham

16mm deep reach socket over the stud usually does the trick for me.

Graham.

welshpug

try as Miles and Graham suggest :blink:

16mm deep socket has to be a particularly deep one though, not all will do the trick.

Tom Fenton

I've done it before with a 16mm spark plug socket that had a external hex on the top of it, this gave plenty of depth to get on the stud when another socket was used to drive the hex on the spark plug socket.

nick9one1

done it! blowtorch treatment and a whack with lumpy seemed to release it. thanks for you help

Sign in to follow this