• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

I Would Like To Change My Headlight Bulbs...

chocolate_o_brian

As you know the standard 205 headlights 9normal dipped beam and high beam) are shocking - well mine are. As the lights are on more and more this time of year, I'd like to change the normal dipped headlight bulbs for some direct swap replacements, i.e. not a HID kit etc, just better quality bulbs.

Seen these on a popular auction site...

Questions are...

Are the legal?

Are they any good?

Are they the right ones for an 88 1.9gti (standard headlamps I presume?

Are there any alternatives at a good price?

Help and advice would be lovely, not clued up on the legalities here, just want better light in dark driving thats all.

Andy ;)

DrSarty

I got some Xenon bulbs of a similar auction site (!), all for about £7 and the difference is extremely noticeable; whiter, cleaner and brighter.

Easy fit too.

chocolate_o_brian
I got some Xenon bulbs of a similar auction site (!), all for about £7 and the difference is extremely noticeable; whiter, cleaner and brighter.

Easy fit too.

Could you pm me a link?

I've seen some on there, specifically these which says you get the dipped bulbs and also some free side light bulbs too. But it says something about twin or single headlights... well I'll quote,

A set of 2 bulbs for the model's listed

With 2 Free xenon 501 bulbs (sidelights etc)

(suits only single (non twin) headlight models - check you handbook if your not sure)

What does this mean? ;) My headlights are standard afaik, would these fit an 88 F-plate model? If so, may go with these you see as it seems a good deal and they're road legal (my main concern).

Ta

jimistdt

Yours arent twins, they're like Morettes with two banks of two lamps.

DrSarty

I can't post a link as I can't remember where I got them from; it was some time ago.

Your link however looks an absolute winner! It just means cars that have 2 headlights per side; yours'll be fine. The bulb will swap straight in, and whilst you're at it you can put brighter, FREE sidelight bulbs in as well: the small bulbs in the headlight if you're not sure. Cool; nice find.

Rich

Edited by DrSarty

chocolate_o_brian

Ah, ok thanks for that chaps, really appreciate it. Ordering some now me thinks :wacko:

cybernck
I got some Xenon bulbs

afaik, Xenon and HID are the same thing, so those replacement bulbs can't be "Xenon" as such,

it's a gimmick i'm afraid. however, if you're sattisfied with the light output they produce, then ok.

however, i hate it when i see cyan/blue lights, especially in headlights pointing way too high up,

be it Xenon/HID or not :wacko:.

chocolate_o_brian

Well i've just "commited to buy" so a little late now lol.

Sure they will be ok, as there is the manual switch for lowering the headlight height isn't there for when you have passengers etc?

hexhamstu
Well i've just "commited to buy" so a little late now lol.

Sure they will be ok, as there is the manual switch for lowering the headlight height isn't there for when you have passengers etc?

post back here with your findings!

chocolate_o_brian
post back here with your findings!

Will do, if I can will take before and after pics with my camera at night/morning :wacko:

DrSarty

There'll be fine, honest.

Blue lights!!! Cybernck> How dare you!

Super Josh

Well Auto Express ran a test on bulbs recently and the Philips X-treme Power were the winners. It seems that the newer bulbs have more accurately made internals and focus more of their light output at the 50 and 75 metre range. Which is supposed to be where we spend most of our time looking during night time driving. Well that's what they reckon anyway.

Josh

PS

It's worth making sure that you have a decent earth to your headlights, so that you are getting a decent supply to them. The old trick of replacing the earth connection blocks, next to the headlights, with ring terminal and then bolting them directly to the studs seems to work a treat :wacko:

Last Legend

Halfords are doing a BOGOF offer on their 90% brighter range at the moment,so they cost £18 a pair rather that the normal £18 each,also noticed they are doing stop lamp bulbs that allegedly come on 30% quicker giving the bloke behind more time to react.

pug_ham

Twin headlights are like those I have on my 306 with two seperate H7 bulbs for the main & dipped beam rather than the dual filament H4 fitted to the 205 GTi.

afaik, Xenon and HID are the same thing, so those replacement bulbs can't be "Xenon" as such

There's a difference afaik, Xenon is just a better choice of gas for the bub filament iover halogen where HID's use a far higher current to make the light better & brighter along with needing relays etc to work correctly. Oh & they are apparently illegal in the UK on cars without self levelling headlights or something iirc.

I got some Xenon bulbs off ebay last year for my STDT & at first wasn't that keen on the light they emitted for night time driving (ie; most of my driving at this time of year) but soon adjusted to them & bought some more for my GTi.

After driving my GTi for a couple of days last week while doing the few MOT bits on the 306 I noticed that the only thing that lets them down on my GTi now is the driving lights bulbs still giving out a weak yellow light but I've been looking at fixing that tonight although I'll be checking halfords first because with my trade card bulbs are dirt cheap. :rolleyes:B)

Graham.

chocolate_o_brian
I noticed that the only thing that lets them down on my GTi now is the driving lights bulbs still giving out a weak yellow light

Graham.

By driving lights do you mean the pair in the lower front bumper? If so I thought these only came on when you have your high beam on? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick :rolleyes:

Apologies for the daft question, as I'm used to big ol' foggies on my old Impreza's B)

DrSarty
By driving lights do you mean the pair in the lower front bumper? If so I thought these only came on when you have your high beam on? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick :rolleyes:

Apologies for the daft question, as I'm used to big ol' foggies on my old Impreza's :lol:

As far as I'm aware - and this topic is a REAL BUG BARE of mine because I'm a grumpy old fuddy duddy - driving lights only come on with main beam and are orientated to blast higher power light straight ahead in the direction of travel. For example some big, Cibie rally lights bolted in front of the 205's grille are excellent for blasting down lanes (legally on 12 car rallies) so, and here's the important bit, so you can see where you want to go. They also act as a warning to anyone coming the other way.

Front fog or spot lamps, have a separate switch to activate them (on many cars they are position 2 on the fog light control (1 click = rear fogs, 2 clicks = rear & front too) are positioned both low down and, another important bit, point outwards to highlight the edges of the road or useful road edge markings, so you can see where you don't want to go, i.e. onto another lane or into a ditch/curb and therefore are used as a result of reduced visibility.

The thing that bugs me is people driving with their front fogs/spots on because they think it makes them look cool. One it's illegal - visibility needs to be impaired as a result of fog, even a figure of distance is quoted in the Highway Code IIRC - and 2 it ain't cool, you look like a sad d1ck!

Separate light switch, especially if it's on the same mechanism as the rear fog light = fog light, use in the fog, hence the use of the damn word 'fog'. They point down & out.

Driving lights usually come on with main beam and usually always point directly forward.

And yes, I am breathing. B)

Edited by DrSarty

MerlinGTI

I have the bulbs from the first post, and have done for some time. They are not HID lights they are normal Halogen bulbs supposidly filled with Xenon insted of halogen.

In reality I think they are just good halogen bulbs with a blue filter to make them whiter.

Saying this they are loads brighter, cool white and I will buy them every time I need to in future rather than 'borrow' standard new Items from work.

I also have the LED side lights in white, and again they are loads and loads brighter than the normal peanut ones, again cool white rather than yellowish, less likely to blow and use less current.

So yup they are both well worth the money imo :rolleyes:

matt-k

Ive just bought some Ring Ultra Xenon bulbs for my car, they dont have the silly blue tint and are much brighter & whiter, this is mainly because of the xenon gas inside the bulb which makes the element brighter.

Matt.

pug_ham
By driving lights do you mean the pair in the lower front bumper? If so I thought these only came on when you have your high beam on? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick :blink:

Yes, I mean the pair in the front valance below the bumper. These are your driving lights not fog lights which like Dr S says Fogs light have to be operated by a seperate switch independently of the main beam. When I took my GTi for its MOT earlier this year the tester said they were wired up wrongly & we almost had a big arguement when I said they were factory fit like that as tehy are not fog lights!!

Thankfully the garage owner noticed the heated discussion & came in on my side because he knew I was right. The tester even then didn't want to back down but had to leave it be & couldn't refuse my MOT certificate.

Graham.

hexhamstu

can you buy them for the driving lights aswell? whats the code for the bulbs? i want to get some but would rather do the lot at the same time.

chocolate_o_brian
can you buy them for the driving lights aswell? whats the code for the bulbs? i want to get some but would rather do the lot at the same time.

I'm not sure what the driving lamp bulb code is mate. Know the headlight bulb is H$ and the side light bulbs I got free are 501.

Haynes manual?

hengti

pretty sure the driving lamp bulbs are H1s; probably best to whip one out and check though. if you haven't already, renewing the driving lamps can make an enormous difference - i remember being amazed when i last renewed mine for Magnetti Marelli units.

right, ulterior motive to my post..

has anyone tried Osram Night Breakers? i've been to Halfords and bought a set of Super Brilliance bulbs (2 for 1 - but still £35's worth - wtf?!) and they're neither super or brilliant imo. the Osram's review well (Autoexpress - again..) but just wondering if anyone has tried them - ?

apols, chocolate_o_brian, for the intrusion

chocolate_o_brian
pretty sure the driving lamp bulbs are H1s; probably best to whip one out and check though. if you haven't already, renewing the driving lamps can make an enormous difference - i remember being amazed when i last renewed mine for Magnetti Marelli units.

right, ulterior motive to my post..

has anyone tried Osram Night Breakers? i've been to Halfords and bought a set of Super Brilliance bulbs (2 for 1 - but still £35's worth - wtf?!) and they're neither super or brilliant imo. the Osram's review well (Autoexpress - again..) but just wondering if anyone has tried them - ?

apols, chocolate_o_brian, for the intrusion

No worries. I see people are referring to the driving lamps being important quite a lot. My cars driving lamps only come on when I have main (high) beam on, which well isn't often otherwise I'd blind everyone. I'm at a loss here, as I wouldn't have thought the folk on here drive around with their high beams on all the time, otherwise accidents would surely occur :D

Have I missed something here, as I've only ever had my highs on when driving country lanes in the dark (with no traffic infront).

DrSarty
Have I missed something here, as I've only ever had my highs on when driving country lanes in the dark (with no traffic infront).

Please re-read my post (mini rant) on page 2 of this delicious, chocolatey thread.

chocolate_o_brian
Please re-read my post (mini rant) on page 2 of this delicious, chocolatey thread.

Proper belly laughed at the beaut :D

Sign in to follow this