• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
engine killer

Lowering The Floor To Allow A Much Lower Seating Position

Cameron

I mainly did it because the standard seat position is too high for my liking. Its always felt like I'm sitting on the car rather than in it.

With the seat this low it just gives you a bit more confidence, plus you get the advantage of better weight distribution. The passenger pretty much sits on the floor in the boot. ;)

The only downside is that the steering wheel was too high and too far forward, so I've had to make a new steering column.

engine killer
I mainly did it because the standard seat position is too high for my liking. Its always felt like I'm sitting on the car rather than in it.

With the seat this low it just gives you a bit more confidence, plus you get the advantage of better weight distribution. The passenger pretty much sits on the floor in the boot. ;)

The only downside is that the steering wheel was too high and too far forward, so I've had to make a new steering column.

I have my steering column lowered by about an inch too, will take some photos later. Regarding to the steering wheel far too forward, a deep dish and spacer will help. Those quick release adaptors give instance 50mm spacing effect.

projectpug

Agreed with lowering at 5ft 11 i manage but when i let my brother loose his head is on the roof.

JROd never knew the standard mountings were that weak?

boombang
IMO its more to do with strength, the standard mountings are terrible, in an accident they will rip out.

The standard mounts in Martin Wicks' car broke whilst going round Combe - mid bend they sheared straight off, no collision involved, simply the sideways force!

vicious-monkey87

thats a scary thought!

my mate's wheel sheared off his mini on a corner the other day! fortunately he wasn't going very fast!

cybernck
I have my steering column lowered by about an inch too, will take some photos later

yes please! :lol:

i found out that with lowered bucket seat you have to lower the steering wheel to match too.

Cameron

You can lower it just by sticking spacers over the mounting bolts, equates to about an inch at the wheel but wasn't anywhere near enough for mine. :lol:

welshpug

Depends which cage and doorbars you use, but lowering the wheel as well could cause problems!

easy solution, removable steering wheel.

Cameron

Yeah I can't finish the roll cage until I have a removable steering wheel.

I had to leave the upper front part of the door X out otherwise I couldn't get in or out. :)

engine killer
You can lower it just by sticking spacers over the mounting bolts, equates to about an inch at the wheel but wasn't anywhere near enough for mine. :)

if you don't mind, you can take a look at what i have done. they are fixed spacers and jointed together. the best is to weld a cross member to joint them all four together to increase rigidity. i should also drill a smaller hole in the spacer and tap the thread instead of drilling a hole through and use a long bolt and nut to secure it, lazy!

you can also offset either top or bottom holes to allow the steering wheel position closer to you. by pulling the steering wheel closer and making the angle at the joint of the steering column (the last picture) lesser, you may lower a bit further down without risking running the joint not smooth enough when turning. without pas, i would suggest to reinforce the weld of the bracket which is holding the column (Pict 1).

hope you can find my English understandable and the pictures useful.

engine killer

oops, the picts are all in wrong order.

Atari Boy

I need to lower my floor also, with buckets I just don’t fit!

I will be getting a local welder to do the work for me. As I am sure you can tell I am not engineering genius so would someone mind giving me a crib sheet that I can give to the welder? I will take along the photos from this thread but I think a ‘use 2 mm sheet and make sure you....’ would rally help them/me as I doubt they would have done this before.

Also, what might this work cost me, to drop both sides? Or how many hours work is there roughly ish?

Thanks again

Jonny

t16ryan
I need to lower my floor also, with buckets I just don’t fit!

I will be getting a local welder to do the work for me. As I am sure you can tell I am not engineering genius so would someone mind giving me a crib sheet that I can give to the welder? I will take along the photos from this thread but I think a ‘use 2 mm sheet and make sure you....’ would rally help them/me as I doubt they would have done this before.

Also, what might this work cost me, to drop both sides? Or how many hours work is there roughly ish?

Thanks again

Jonny

Have you spoke to nat about this ATARI BOY ? Was ralking to him today and he can make the frames up for you :) hes quite handy with a welder

Atari Boy
Have you spoke to nat about this ATARI BOY ? Was ralking to him today and he can make the frames up for you :) hes quite handy with a welder

I just text him to see if you might know someone to do the work? I will need S/D C12 cage fitting too.

djinuk

has anybody lowered the floor, and then fitted the carpet back in etc for a tidy road/track car

Baz
The standard mounts in Martin Wicks' car broke whilst going round Combe - mid bend they sheared straight off, no collision involved, simply the sideways force!

One of dad's mates who's an MSA scrutineer has a pretty nasty horror story that ended in death on a rally that should make any 205 owner at least check the condition of the std seat mounts!!

Atari Boy
has anybody lowered the floor, and then fitted the carpet back in etc for a tidy road/track car

Give me two weeks and I hope to.

Edited by Atari Boy

engine killer

I have, but all I can tell you is you have to cut and throw away a lot around the original seat mount areas. It will make the carpet a few big holes, very noticeable :)

I still haven't finish the whole project, so I may have something to cover those holes at last.

djinuk

ah damn, im quite short at 5ft10, but i want to lower the seat as to have solid seat mounts and do away with the pug standard ones, but i still want the car carpeted and i still wana be able to see :)

swordfish210
One of dad's mates who's an MSA scrutineer has a pretty nasty horror story that ended in death on a rally that should make any 205 owner at least check the condition of the std seat mounts!!

When i swapped my seat mounts for some box section ones i said that anyone who bangs on about roll cages in a 205 but doesnt change the seat mounts is an idiot because the standard ones are dangerous. This guy then PM'd me saying that i didnt know what i was talking about and i hadnt seen the things that he had seen :):lol: I strugled to see what he was talking about really.

P.S. he wasnt on this forum, but he was banned from here some time ago.

Bas
When i swapped my seat mounts for some box section ones i said that anyone who bangs on about roll cages in a 205 but doesnt change the seat mounts is an idiot because the standard ones are dangerous.

Do not forget to mount the seatbelt/harnass to the body instead of the seats. Weld a plate behind the seatbelt/harnass mount.

swordfish210

Heres how it is for now:

Seat rails:

DSC00457.jpg

Seats:

DSC00469.jpg

and harnesses:

DSC00468.jpg

safe enough methinks :)

engine killer

very very envy you guys have tracks around the whole country :ph34r: