• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcoolj

Loose Belt In Mi16, Unsure Which One?

tomcoolj

I can hear a loose belt ratterling around, particularly when idle. I have a Mi16 Citroen BX engine alloy block. It seems to be coming from the left hand side on the engine, I think its cover by a plastic cover at the top?

I'm just scared incase its the cam belt, it might snap on me?

Can you let me know what belt you think it is, and what needs doing to resolve the problem?

Thank you so so much

hexhamstu

sounds like the cam belt, wouldnt drive the car, at all like this. take the plastic cover off, and check tension. there is a sliding clip at the bottom and 2 fastners at the top (i think) its fairly self explanitory when you look at it.

tomcoolj

ok, I won't be driving it then, I'll give that a go. Thank your for the advice

hexhamstu

if it still runs fine it will only need the tensioners re-tightening which is covered in the haynes manual, but if your feeling frisky you could do the cambelt, tensioners and water pump all in one go!

if just tightening make sure the tensioners are still spinning freely.

DrSarty

If you don't know the history of the engine - or at least when the cam belt was last changed - I'd take this as an opportunity to do it and give yourself peace of mind.

It's not difficult, it's just fiddly, but can be made less so by lifting up the engine at the cam belt end with an engine crane. This is what's even in the BX 16valve (secret) workshop manual, and the BX has a much bigger engine bay than the 205, which is partly what makes the job a tad awkward.

Getting a belt, a new water pump (with gasket or silicon sealant), a few 5mm drill bits, suitable tools (allen keys, sockets and spanners) and perhaps new tensioner(s) will be a day's work for a newbie, but a serious investment in peace of mind and longevity of the engine.

Hope it goes well. Doing anything in the car as is will cost you some seriously scratched and scraped arms. Good luck.

Rich

Edited by DrSarty

Miles

Sounds more like the Cam covers rubbing on the cam wheels, The belt's don;t really make any sound.

tomcoolj

I don't have the tools or the space to do it myself, I'm gonna have to take it to a garage. How much do you think its gonna cost to get the cambelt changed?

mr_exe

If you are doing the cambelt then I would say change the tensioners as well, along with the water pump. Its water pump failures that cause the belt to fail.

hexhamstu
I don't have the tools or the space to do it myself, I'm gonna have to take it to a garage. How much do you think its gonna cost to get the cambelt changed?

never had it done but i think its around about £100? maybe someone else can verify.

tomcoolj

My cam belt was changed in July. The receipt of the work from the previous owner says its a "cam Belt kit' costing £90 without the labour.

I've just been on a trackday, and it started to rattle just after I finished.

So surely the cam belt just needs tightening? or the cam covers rubbing?

again Thankyou for the help

jonnie205

yes i ahve heard a few mi16 engines make that sound by pullies touching cover

tomcoolj

How would i go about fixing this?

tomcoolj

anyone?

ablister

take the cover off, start up the engine and see if the noise goes away. If it does, then the belt/pulleys have been rubbing off the cover

Sign in to follow this