• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest AND181

2.0l Turbo Fron The 406 Sri In To My 205 - Help

Guest AND181

Hello,

I'm pretty new to all this althoug I have owned my silver 1.9 GTI for the last ten years, the only problem being it's been stored away in the garage for the last 7/8 years.

I've just pulled it out the garage and having a look it's needing a serious refurb so I was thinking about the 2.0l turbo out the 406 SRI to drop in to it? so I guess I was looking for a bit of help/advice about the pros and cons and an indication of how hard it is going to be?

Cheers

P.S. I think I might have added this in the wrong section, please forgive me I'm new!

Edited by AND181

M@tt
Guest AND181

Thank for that M@tt, I'll have a read up on these threads and see what I'm letting myself in for!

Having a quick look at one of them I notice it's a Xantia engine that was used - I was thinking of using the 406 SRI engine. Does this make the job any easier/harder?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to transplanting engines but I do have (fingers crossed) a few good friends who have done a bit of this and one that's a mechanic so I'm optimistic that I should be ok!

I will only be working on this at weekends and evenings and time isn't an issue so I'll just take it at my own pace to make sure I don't make any mistakes!

No doubt I'll be back with more questions at some point!

A quick one before I go - I've managed to source a 406 SRI with low miles, mot, fsh etc for £500 - Is it worth getting that or am I better getting one that's already been stripped out the car?

Cheers

Edited by AND181

mattbenselin

If the car still works ok and can be driven you can drive it home. You may not find a good engine local and have to drive miles to collect or pay postage. You can also hear and see the engine running in this car where you have to trust the guy with an already removed engine. You will also get most of the parts needed for the conversion, with 1 big bonus!...the rest of the car! If you have the time this can be broken down and sold in bits, I did this with a written off 205, took the good engine out and made my money back just by selling the rest of it in bits.

Edited by mattbenselin

Sign in to follow this