• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

Service Time...

chocolate_o_brian

Yes folks, it's now reached that time that after owning the Pug for 5 months and covered just over 6k miles, she needs her first service under my care and ownership.

Previous owner has used "ok" parts etc, so these are still ok. I want to do the oil change/filter myself, and am looking for a little advice. Afaik, the previous owner has a Halfords oil filter on and used Halfords 15w40 prt synth oil.

Now as the cold weather has truley set in, I wanted to swap to 10w-40 oil. What should I be using re. brands and filters?

Don't have loads of money, but I've seen they do Mobil for about £20, and I could use one of their filters again. I ask as the car sounds very rattly on start up, hense the different visocisty?

You can tell I'm an ameteur - oh, and no motor factors local to me unfortunatley.

boombang

Genuine Peugeot filters are cheap and have the proper non-return valve in (helps keep oil around the engine to protect on startup, before oil pressure has built up).

McDude

Yep - geniune Pug filters are about £7

I use Shell Helix 10W40 fully synthetic - but it is pricey.

boombang
Yep - geniune Pug filters are about £7

I buy them in batches from Neat Autos, work out about £2.40 each.

Guy we used to deal with in there has gone though, so not sure what they are like now, used to get some cracking prices.

chocolate_o_brian
Genuine Peugeot filters are cheap and have the proper non-return valve in (helps keep oil around the engine to protect on startup, before oil pressure has built up).

Thought there would be a reason for the genuine Peugeot ones. Do they have athe Peugeot stamp on them, as I'm not paying for one and then paying delivery costs too from someone like GSF. I'd rather buy from from here in Sc*nthorpe, like the oil itself and not pay daft postage. Really puts me off, hense why I asked about different filters.

McDude
Do they have athe Peugeot stamp on them

They come in a blue Peugeot box and are blue with white peugeot markings all over them. No mistaking it's a pug part.

richsmells

Yeah, pug logo and "Purflux" written on them.

chocolate_o_brian

Well I ended up ringing a company local to me called 'A.E.Cooks', who are usually very competitive on prices. They did me the oil filter I needed and 5 litres of 10w40 semi synth engine oil for £16.05, far cheaper than Halfrauds could muster. I don't drive the car hard anyway, so all should be good, and the different rating ok for colder weather.

Sign in to follow this