• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Chaff

Air Filters And Intakes

Chaff

Is it best to get a little bolt on K&N filter or go for the whole air intake system on a 1.6 gti?

Does anyone have any good links where i can buy one?

Regards Matt

matty_gti
Is it best to get a little bolt on K&N filter or go for the whole air intake system on a 1.6 gti?

Does anyone have any good links where i can buy one?

Regards Matt

Been covered quite a bit before so i'd do a search first.

However on the 8v the common choice would be a K&N induction kit or panel filtter but there isnt a huge difference over standard intake just the noise. And how do you mean ' air intake system'?,like carbs 'n' TB's?.

Matt

Edited by matty_gti

Chaff

By intake system i mean those kits you buy that arn't just a filter. You get a load of pipes and all sorts. I will have a search and see what i can find.

Chaff

Ahh yes thats the sort of thing i am talking about. Thanks might have ago at that. :lol:

Guest bigdirtyturbo

does anybody have advice on a solution for a car with power steering? im guessing i'll need to relocate the PAS resevoir or battery?

whats the norm? cheers

Baz

generally you can move the reservoir yes.

A search would've uncovered this! ;)

Peetypug

i relocated my pas bottle so it was next to the expansion tank

i used a pipe from a 405's power steering as the 205 one isnt long enough

it has to be a pipe for oil/fuel or it will just perish so dont use a coolant hose ;)

mattbenselin

I move the battery into the boot then used the new space to mount the air filter housing with a K&N filter inside. The power steering reservoir is now in front of the coolant tank and as you can see below I used silicone hoses to join everything up, the cold feed coming from below. This was then changed to have a cold feed from behind the grill (lowered radiator) but I am now fitting carbs so never finished it.

P1010039.jpg

I have driven a 205 with just a bolt on K&N and didn't feel any quicker just a little noisier, even though you may be sucking in more air the likelyhood is that its hotter there for less dense so not going to give any power gains. If you want to keep it simple try using a BMC CDA or something.

Matt

Edited by mattbenselin

Guest bigdirtyturbo

that looks smart mate, may borrow your idea if you dont mind.? i know i wont be getting much of a performance increase with just the k&n, but im hopeing to do alot more than just that. so i guess this is just my starting point..

dave

mattbenselin

The main reason I did that was to shorten the length of the air path and ultimately get more cold air in. By moving it all where the battery was it has stopped the inlet tubes going over the engine which is hot. I was going to make a scoop like this but never got round to it.

P240708_1922.jpg

Check my web blog in my signature.

Guest bigdirtyturbo

that was my thinking too, i never have understood why they would place the std airbox over the manifold. probs down to the lack of room..

i may have to try what you planned there mate just to see what happens..

dave

Chaff

I guess having colder air gains a little performance, but is it worth the hastle of moving the battery? Must be alot of work.

mattbenselin

It wasn't the easiest but I like a challenge and it was something different. Also I had decided that that was where I wanted my air filter so the battery had to move!

All you need is to run some thick cable to extend the positive and negative battery connections to where ever you put your battery. You can have cut off switches and stuff if you want also and trip switches to make it safer, but the 205 is not long so not really necessary. I wrote up how I did it on my website (see signature) page 3 I think half way down.

Chaff

Site looks good. See what you mean about you like a challenge. Its a good idea but i don't really have the time or money atm. :huh:

Sign in to follow this