• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MerlinGTI

Boot Area Water Leak....

MerlinGTI

I have a small water leak in my boot, which i need to get sorted as im about to put lots of expensive ICE in there.

3-4 tablespoons of water seems to collect in the outer most 'grooves' of the boot floor right by the rear lights. Some times its the OSR some times its the NSR, as of yet never both.

I changed the boot seal for a brand new mondeo item (makes the boot hard to shut by the way even with the latch on full adjustment. not a good replacement) and its still doing it when it rains hard, but not when I wash the car!

Im thinking rear lamp seals, Is this a common leak?

Rear lamps on GSF are £35!! each!!! anyone know a cheaper place for new items? Pug dont sell the seals seperately. While we are on topic anyone know where to get a rear hatch seal cheap to? Pug want £50!!!!!!

Cheers :D

welshpug

1/4 panel badges I would think to be the most likely culprit.

dirtdog

3-4 spoons worth? I had about 2 pints worth!

One of my rear lights got shifted slightly when I got shunted. It has cracked where the screw hole is and it does not sit 100% perfect. I had a fiddle around and managed to fit it a bit better, but there was still a ever so little gap between the lens and the rubber. (Driver side fits like a glove) I ran a bit of clear silicone up it and haven't found water since.

I think it's worth me saying that it was the passenger side lens, and the same side was wet.

MerlinGTI

Its not the 1/4 badges, I siliconed up the holes when I first got the car.

my lens's fit quite poorly, the screws just spin. New lamp time them :lol:

Wheres the cheapest place get get new units? ebay is useless unless you want lex-arse, GSF is expensive and Euro is confusing!

dirtdog

stick some bigger screws in ;)

chris-stdt

Silicone sounds like a cheaper option than a complete new light ;)

GLPoomobile

Loose/cracked lenses may allow water into the light unit itself, but it only goes beyond that if the rubber seal is not doing it's job. Take the light unit off, remove the seal and clean it thoroughly, along with the bodywork too. Refit it with silicon sealant and it should be fine (ubless damaged).

One of my lenses was half full of water. It was trapped between the outer lens and inner amber bit (Ph2 lens), so I had to drill a hole to let it out. I've had other lenses that were loose or cracked etc too. None of them ever let water in to the shell though.

jackherer
None of them ever let water in to the shell though.

You're right, the lights are very well sealed, I left a shell outside once with no rear lights and it almost immediately rusted in the void behind the cluster, and I've never seen a 205 rust there before.

rally_kid

ive got this prob at the moment with the new raly shell thats sat on the drive it seems to be leaking through where the rear lights are

GLPoomobile

To all the people who think they are leaking through the rear lights, have you actually confirmed the presence of water/moisture in the gap immediately behind the lights (between the arch and light), or are you just guessing based on the presence of water in the corners of the boot? Not meaning to sound patronising, but I've read so many people (not just this thread) say they think they have a leak there and I doubt in most cases that really is the problem.

EDIT: Also, if you have water in the corners of the boot, bare in mind that the tailgate has a hole at either end to let water out, and this can leak over the seal and will dribble over the rear cross member and gather in the corners of the boot. Anyone who has ever had their rear washer hose pop off of the jet and then operated the washer will know what I mean!

Edited by GLPoomobile

rally_kid

Valid point, ill check when i get home as i was just assuming that was where it was leaking from as there was a load of gunk and corrosion in the rubber seals

MerlinGTI

Well its not the tailgate seal as I replaced it.

The holes in the bottom of the tailgate are 'after' the seal, so with the boot shut they leak over the out side, much like how the drain holes in the bottom of doors work. It would be a huge design flaw if it drained into the interior of your car! :P any moisture from these drains would be residule and only occur when the boot was opened.

The 1\4 badges are siliconed up.

This leaves only the lights. Im going to replace them as I quite fancy phase 2 jobbies now anyway. If anyone is braking a phase two please see my 'wanted' post for loom-age :huh:

Cheers guys

Sign in to follow this