• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Removing Top Nut From Suspension Help

djinuk

I have avo coilovers on my 205 , and need to replace my top mount bearings/rubber.

My problem is that im not sure how to remove the top nut from the suspension, in previous times using standard suspension, ive always placed a allen key onto the slot in the top of the suspension and then used a ring spanner on the nut, however with these being coil overs where there was usually a allen key socket , there is a inverted allen key section which you put the coilover too onto to adjust the dampening rate.

all i can think of so far is maybe a impact gun , and maybe with the weight of the car it would undo it.. problem being i dont have one.. any other suggestions ?

GTI6BOY

we went to the tyre garage at the end of the road who buzzed them off with a gun and i put them back on finger tight and drove home slowly

skeggyrik

I think the only way is with an impact gun as already said.

You wouldn't want to risk trying to hold the shaft with anything such as mole grips for fear of scouring it.

Same goes for doing them back up I presume?

Edited by skeggyrik

Goliath

Yeh an air gun is the best way, If you have taken the shafts off the car and are doing it without spring compressors then just remembet to aim it away from you as it will pop off with quite some force once the nut is undone! (yes I found out the hard way) doh

Bakes100

Never undo a top nut without spring compressors! unless u can get by with just one arm....

Rom

I would have thought there is some means to hold the top. My coilovers have the little adjuster as you say, but some of the thread has 2 flats, which can be held with a spanner.

You could grip the top of the piston. Its a bit dodgy, as you can damage it. But with cloth wrapped round its possible. And only ever do it right at the top, so if you do damage the piston, the rough edges wont ruin the seals. If its on a part of the piston that will ever travel past the seal it will damage the seal also.

Air gun is best bet if you can get it somewhere.

Sign in to follow this