• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest dan_222

Engine Refurbishment

Guest dan_222

where will refurbish my 1.6 gti engine?

Simsy
where will refurbish my 1.6 gti engine?

I'll do it. It'll cost you a bomb, i'll need the engine sending to me and i can only really juggle the rebuild around work so it could take a few weeks, i'll offer an "off the drive" guarantee with it too (fitting to car costs extra).

Don't like the answer, well, i didn't like the question :D

How bout some more details? :P

hexhamstu
I'll do it. It'll cost you a bomb, i'll need the engine sending to me and i can only really juggle the rebuild around work so it could take a few weeks, i'll offer an "off the drive" guarantee with it too (fitting to car costs extra).

are you high?

Simsy
are you high?

:D

No. I have had a few beers, but i thought that was an amusing answer anyway : :P Maybe not.

cazzy93

daniel i will do an engine refurbishment for you for cheap. also will remove engine and refit if i can use your dad engine hoist.

matty_gti

lol, jokes :D .

Im sure you can find a few people on here or elsewhere that would do it however a little more detail would go amiss.

Guest dan_222
lol, jokes :wacko: .

Im sure you can find a few people on here or elsewhere that would do it however a little more detail would go amiss.

well i havent aculty bought the car yet but it has high mileage so i couldnt actully tell you what needs done. i am just looking for opions for a full refurb if it is not running to sweetly

mickie
well i havent aculty bought the car yet but it has high mileage so i couldnt actully tell you what needs done. i am just looking for opions for a full refurb if it is not running to sweetly

take it to a garage and get them to do a leak down test and a compression test..

get a service done too.. but random wanting to re-build an engine if its working ok

projectpug

When i had mine done i had all this done-

1 set of piston rings

1 set of big end bearings

1 grp n head gasket

-head slightly skimmed

Cam oil seal

Calve stem seals

Cam cover gasket

Dissy Gasket

Inlet Gasket

Exhaust Gasket

Head Bolts

Grp A oil pump spring

Cambelt

Water Pump

4xPlugs

This cost me £360 in parts is this the sort of refurbishment you mean?

Thanks

Phil

jord294

i'm rebuilding a 1.9 engine at the min

once finished, it will be painted red and silver, new shells, new rings, re-conditioned head, new water pump, cambelt, along with new gaskets

very similar to this

post-11467-1225476242_thumb.jpg

post-11467-1225476421_thumb.jpg

would be looking for £450 plus courier cost

Edited by jord294

johny105_y2k

is there not a guide for this ?

i've just started my 1st ever rebuild

not even fully stripped down. but it would be very helpful

johny

welshpug

yeah, surprisingly the Haynes manual covers it pretty accurately with only a few minor details here and there that aren't 100% or are missing/incorrect.

Simsy
yeah, surprisingly the Haynes manual covers it pretty accurately with only a few minor details here and there that aren't 100% or are missing/incorrect.

Head bolt torques by chance? :lol:

large

Just an idea for the price of rebuilding your engine you could get a mi16 or 6 lump fitted. This must be the way to go :lol:

projectpug

Yeah but the mi16/6 wouldn't be refurbished for this price .

large

You can get them that have been done may have some miles on them (20-30K) still plenty of life left but it would be a bit of a gamble but so is buying any 2nd hand engine.

Rebuilding the 1.6 is going to cost about £400-£500 and at the end of that you will have 115bhp, don't get me wrong i think the 1.6 is a better engine than the 1.9 and if you want to keep it that is a good thing but if all you want is POWER you may be better off going to 16v.

I was just trying to give dan_222 an option he may not of thought of.

Cameron

If you haven't actually bought the car yet, why not use the money you would spend rebuilding the engine to get a lower mileage car? :lol:

Edited by Cameron

Guest dan_222
If you haven't actually bought the car yet, why not use the money you would spend rebuilding the engine to get a lower mileage car? :huh:

i was just looking at it as an option. if i can find a low millage car then great but if not then i would look in to a refurb

Cameron

Well, the £450 you would spend on an engine will get a fairly decent 1.6 as long as you steer clear of pistonheads. Add whatever you were going to spend on the car in the first place and you've probably got enough for a nice one. Get on eBay, there's always lots of 1.6s on there.

Sign in to follow this