• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jord294

Turbo Technics Engine

jord294

hello everybody.

i have a question, and hope i can get all the answers i need please :D

i am able to get my hands on an original turbo technics engine, which includes everything to do a conversion (even comes with metal i.d plate)

if i buy the 90k mile engine, i will strip it first, and check for signs of wear, and all being well, will rebuild it,and paint it up

but my question is, does anyone know where i could find out information for the turbo engine

i am told that the engine should push around 170bhp, but if the boost is adjusted, could reach upto 195bhp :)

so any help, info, pics, would be much appreciated

thankyo

Batfink
hello everybody.

i have a question, and hope i can get all the answers i need please :D

i am able to get my hands on an original turbo technics engine, which includes everything to do a conversion (even comes with metal i.d plate)

if i buy the 90k mile engine, i will strip it first, and check for signs of wear, and all being well, will rebuild it,and paint it up

but my question is, does anyone know where i could find out information for the turbo engine

i am told that the engine should push around 170bhp, but if the boost is adjusted, could reach upto 195bhp :)

so any help, info, pics, would be much appreciated

thankyo

The engine was nothing that special. Skimmed pistons to lower compression, and 5th injector and controller to get more fuel in. Other than the other usual suspects in the turbo build its pretty much it

Tesstuff

In 1989, for a cost of around £2,500, a 115bhp 1.6 GTI could become a 160bhp machine and the 130bhp 1.9 would increase its output to 175bhp with the addition of the Turbo Technics/Garrett T25 turbocharger. Torque figures were even more impressive: 162lb.ft at 3,000rpm and 182lb.ft at 3,000, respectively.

Quoted performance for the 'TT 1.9' was 0-60mph in 6.3 seconds (usually 7.8 seconds), with a top speed of 132mph. 0-100mph could be achieved in just 18 seconds and 50-70mph in a stunningly quick 5 seconds. Another feature on the 1.9 version was a two-stage boost. A small switch on the dashboard could be operated to provide either medium or high boost (0.65bar).

Many other engine components were uprated, including a larger oil cooler, a front-mounted intercooler and an additional injector mounted in the throttle body. The 1.9 version featured an uprated clutch and a larger exhaust system.

jord294
In 1989, for a cost of around £2,500, a 115bhp 1.6 GTI could become a 160bhp machine and the 130bhp 1.9 would increase its output to 175bhp with the addition of the Turbo Technics/Garrett T25 turbocharger. Torque figures were even more impressive: 162lb.ft at 3,000rpm and 182lb.ft at 3,000, respectively.

Quoted performance for the 'TT 1.9' was 0-60mph in 6.3 seconds (usually 7.8 seconds), with a top speed of 132mph. 0-100mph could be achieved in just 18 seconds and 50-70mph in a stunningly quick 5 seconds. Another feature on the 1.9 version was a two-stage boost. A small switch on the dashboard could be operated to provide either medium or high boost (0.65bar).

Many other engine components were uprated, including a larger oil cooler, a front-mounted intercooler and an additional injector mounted in the throttle body. The 1.9 version featured an uprated clutch and a larger exhaust system.

this is the info i'm after

but does anybody know if new parts are available still?

maybe even an engine diagram, and write up of all the necessary parts

welshpug

main bulk of the neccesary parts would be made redundant by fitting engine management and a suitable set of injectors :P

205parts do (or used to) a TT exhaust manifold.

have a look at Tom Fenton's Turbo project.

Tom Fenton

From what I can gather the TT conversion by todays standards is a bit of a heath robinson effort, the 5th injector setup is really old hat these days and with programmable ECU's available to do the job properly for not much money this is the obvious choice in my eyes.

It seems that TT machined the piston crowns, and someone on here seems to think they still offer this service, I however am going down a different route and am going to enlarge the combustion chamber in the head to achieve the same thing.

As for what else they fitted, the cars I believe ran the standard injection system, with a add-on 5th injector control box. I'm not sure what they did with the ignition side of things.

I'm hoping to better 160bhp with my 1600 turbo build, time will tell whether I can or not.

welshpug

they had a specially adapted Distributor.

Miles

You can use the std piston's if using decent managment, But if you drop the compression slightly (Gentry/CTi 1.9 head with GTi valves) you should see a nice chunk of power and booossst

As WP has said the Dizzy has a larger Vacume unit and the advance curves where changed

Henry Yorke

I looked at the whole MF2 / 5th injector set up and as Tom said, it is very 80's. Proper management is the thing and you don't really need to drop the compression that much if running low boost.

The TT compression ration was 8.5:1 after the pistons were fitted. 205 T16's were 6:1!!! Modern turbo VAG engines are in the high 9:1's. Ignition and fuelling has moved on a long way in 20 years.

Also a turbo technics kit at 90k will probably need a turbo rebuild, so think about what you are actually buying unless it comes with some recent receipts.

welshpug

VW-Audi turbo's are infact up to 11-1 now, Direct injection has a large bearing on that though.

imagine a bog standard GTi6 or Mi16, with a Turbo slapped on it :P

Alastairh
It seems that TT machined the piston crowns, and someone on here seems to think they still offer this service, I however am going down a different route and am going to enlarge the combustion chamber in the head to achieve the same thing.

They do. I popped into TT 18 months ago as there place is round the corner from my work, and asked for a price for a mate to have some machined. They were very reasonably priced considering the same mate (also a forum member) was having disbutes from a well know engine builder that made some complete hash up pistons for more than TT charged, we later found out.

But, if i was to go down the TT route. Budget proper after market management to make it reliable to today's standards and make it last longer...

Al

Sign in to follow this