• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pacey205

Car Alarm

pacey205

Right, having just moved to Swindon I started updating everything (as you do) so phoned HIC to sort car insurance out to be told that they will not cover me at the new address without an alarm fitted. I have a Toad Ai606 sat at my parents house (Banbury) that I have meant to get fitted for god knows how long.

So I need to get it fitted ASAP as I am now not covered until it is fitted (handy!). Unfortunately my skills at anything electrical total approximately nought (and my tools are all at my parents house) so fitting it by myself isnt really an option. So is there anyone on here who knows of any decent firms in/around Swindon/Banbury that arent going to bumrape me to get it fitted, or alternatively anyone who is handy themselves and would fit/help me fit it for beer tokens. Although Im assuming HIC will need an engineers reoprt stating its fitted correctly etc so I would still need to get that sorted.

So any ideas?

Edit: Forgot to mention its a 1.9 Gti with an Mi16 fitted.

Michael

Edited by pacey205

Anthony

Might be worth dropping Sorr on here a PM, as I know he knows a decent alarm installer in the Swindon area that did his 205.

Normally I'd say that I'd fit it for you (did the Ai606 in my own car 3-4 years back and have the installer guide) which would just leave you needing to get it certified, but unfortunately I'm away/busy until the middle of the month which I would suspect is too late for you.

Whereabouts are you in Swindon anyhow?

Rom

Youll need an instalation certificate to prove its been installed by a certified installer.

If its been fitted before, youll struggle to fit it. Unless it was labeled when it was taken out. Or you have the installers manual.

Ive fitted an Ai606. There pretty straightforward, and nice alarms.

pacey205

The alarm is brand new and boxed with instructions etc and the VSIB certificate that needs sorting by someone qualified. Normally Id get my old man to give me a hand fitting it but hes in Holland at the moment so not an option and Id like to get it sorted reasonably quickly.

Anthony, Im up in Abbeymeads, got a new job with nPower that I start on Monday so have spent this week trying to get the house and everything sorted out, such fun!

Michael

Anthony
Anthony, Im up in Abbeymeads, got a new job with nPower that I start on Monday so have spent this week trying to get the house and everything sorted out, such fun!

There's a few of us around there - myself, Sorr, and S33Gav are all in Abbey Meads as well B)

pacey205

Ah right thats handy to know Anthony, managed to not get lost on the way to work this morning although Im banned from all forums by IT which is rubbish lol. Anyone else have any ideas as ideally the sooner I can get it sorted the better.

Michael

sorr

Hello and welcome to Abbey Meads.

I will be going to speak to the alarm fitter I know in a week or so, owe him a bottle of JD for sorting out some confusing hands free wiring. I can ask him about an install if you like?

If you are in a rush phone Sextons in Swindon and ask for Ian as they may fit the alarm even if you did not buy it from them.

Edited by sorr

McDude
Youll need an instalation certificate to prove its been installed by a certified installer.

I have never been asked to provide proof of alarm fitment in 16 odd years of driving/insuring. It's always been a case of the insurance companies taking my word for it. That goes for both factory fit and aftermarket alarms.

I'm sure you guys are right and perhaps if a car of mine got nicked I might have to prove I had an alarm professional fitted, but that hasn't happened and fingers crossed it won't.

hexhamstu
I have never been asked to provide proof of alarm fitment in 16 odd years of driving/insuring. It's always been a case of the insurance companies taking my word for it. That goes for both factory fit and aftermarket alarms.

I'm sure you guys are right and perhaps if a car of mine got nicked I might have to prove I had an alarm professional fitted, but that hasn't happened and fingers crossed it won't.

sky insurance just asked me for mine, and i as most people i know dont have a certificate alarm was on the car when i bought it. so can i just get it checked over by someone? to get a certificate?

happygoron
sky insurance just asked me for mine, and i as most people i know dont have a certificate alarm was on the car when i bought it. so can i just get it checked over by someone? to get a certificate?

Asfar as I know you can. Is the car still in Newcastle or Swansea? There'a a place in Uplands that I think can check them if it's in Swansea.

hexhamstu
Asfar as I know you can. Is the car still in Newcastle or Swansea? There'a a place in Uplands that I think can check them if it's in Swansea.

its in newcastle, but i'll be driving it down so could get it check down here. you know the name of the place?

happygoron
its in newcastle, but i'll be driving it down so could get it check down here. you know the name of the place?

http://www.uplands.co.uk/home/index.php

Give them a ring to check they do certifications. I know they have certified installers.

DanteICE
Ah right thats handy to know Anthony, managed to not get lost on the way to work this morning although Im banned from all forums by IT which is rubbish lol. Anyone else have any ideas as ideally the sooner I can get it sorted the better.

Michael

Banned by IT department? Are you unable to get on any forums or are they just telling you not to go on them?

If you are banned on the system, try using Portable Firefox on a pen drive. :D

Geoff

Sign in to follow this