• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

Vag Tb, Mi16

timmsy19

Hi all

Ive been looking at the article on the main site about fitting a VAG Tb to my 1.9 Mi16.

Anyone else on here fitted this? If so does anyone have any more detailed info?

Does it really make a difference? and will it help with mpg at low revs while at same time give better response at higher revs?

Thanks

Graham

jackherer

There is no difference in performance, but you might get better idling if you're MI TB is worn like most are. The only tricky bit is making the throttle switch fit but its not rocket science.

luggy

I had idling issues with my Mi conversion, tried to recon the throttle body to no avail, bought an Audi 80 16v throttle body off fleabay for 15 squid. Had to make some minor mods to fit the TPS as well as the mods on the main site. :rolleyes:

The car now idles spot on and the induction noise is slightly different to the MI, never fails to put a smile on my face! :)

timmsy19

the idle is my main concern really.

thanks chaps

Rom

This is something i looked at a while ago.

I replaced my Mi TB with another less worn one. Which is better, but still not 100%

Whats involved in using the Gti6 TB ? Thought i read somewhere its possible, with manifold i think.

timmsy19

yeah the GTi-6 you need the whole manifold. loads of tpoics about this quite recently. Veero has either done it or considering doing it recently

Veero

Yeah Im midway.

Manifold is fitted, one of the bolts that holds the resonator and plastic surround around the bolt need chopping slightly and you need to remove the dowels on the Mi head or (as I did) mark and drill 2 holes in the '6 inlet.

It's all straight forward. Wish I'd taken photos in stages now could have written a good article. :wacko:

Anyway, oil filler will be too short, adjacent breather wont fit, you need to bend the dipstick round to the right and there will be nowhere for the ICV and coil to bolt to. Nothing insurmountable.

Currently figthing the TPS as where the '6 TB is, it puts the TPS hard up against the top rad hose so plugging in or adjustment of the TPS is a royal pain in the jacksy.

Haven't figured out fitting the TPS securely yet either as it needs to sit round 40* or so and the bolt holes don't line up, that's tomorrow's fun job.

The throttle cable needs re-routing too, I got a complete cable from a 406 in a breakers and it was perfect.

Also you need a custom TB -->AFM pipe. One from an Alfa Romeo 75 T Spark happens to fit perfectly but will leave very little room for the air filter. Tomorrow I will measure up and see if K&N do a small top hat job to squeeze in behind the headlamp.

Sorry for the hijack. :)

Rom

Good info. Im definately interested in how you get on.

My coil is mounted elsewhere anyway, and i have a catch tank and custom breather pipes. So might negate a few issues.

I do however have very little room air filter wise, and im not keen on ditching my brand new filter :wacko:

Something ill keep an eye on though after yours is done. See how it goes.

Good luck !

pete1986

Im quite interested in this too, especially the difference it makes compared to the mi16 setup. Veero, keep us updated mate, new topic maybe? Iirc, when i searched about this, i didnt really find anything conclusive. As you said, its a shame you didnt take photos of the earlier stages, a article from start to finish would have been brilliant.

24seven

Veero, is the 6 manifold an shorter than the Mi16 one? If so, is it enough of a difference to sort the manifold/radiator clearance with the rad in the standard position?

Veero
Im quite interested in this too, especially the difference it makes compared to the mi16 setup. Veero, keep us updated mate, new topic maybe? Iirc, when i searched about this, i didnt really find anything conclusive. As you said, its a shame you didnt take photos of the earlier stages, a article from start to finish would have been brilliant.

It's not too bad actually, I've managed to take photos of pretty much everything, only thing I can't get to is the modified part of the resonator bracket which fouls the top engine mount, but if you are fitting your own manifold then chopping that back a smidgen won't be rocket science.

Had to order a new inlet/TB gasket which should be here today so hopefully by the end of the week I will have it all fitted and running.

Veero, is the 6 manifold an shorter than the Mi16 one? If so, is it enough of a difference to sort the manifold/radiator clearance with the rad in the standard position?

It is shorter but only by a few mm. It's taken my rad clearance from ~5mm to ~12mm ish. I doubt it would clear with the standard rad cowling in place TBH.

Miles

On the ICV front, The S16/Mi16 uses a different R/H engine lifting eye with the mounting point's for the ICV, Might be worth looking at

mr_exe

Does the VAG throttle body idea work with a shortened inlet manifold? I think mine has been shortened by 2.5 inches.

jackherer
Does the VAG throttle body idea work with a shortened inlet manifold? I think mine has been shortened by 2.5 inches.

The shortening wont affect the TB flange so it will fit fine.

mr_exe

Do you know the width of the VAG throttle body versus the Mi16 one? I ask as it looks wider from the pictures i've seen, and with the manifold being shortened its abit tight for room already.

timmsy19

will let you know by end of tomorrow as im fitting my inlet mani with VAG tb already attached.

Sign in to follow this