• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
autograsser

Top Or Bottom?

autograsser

whats the considerd easiest way to change the engine through the to or from underneath??

jeremy

I think you will find there is not a definitive answer, as it is down to a few factors. I know when I took mine out I did it from underneath, as there was no subframe in the way and I did not have an engine hoist. However with my little trolly jack I just could not have enough control when putting it back in so hired a hoist for £15, and this made the job easy peasy when lifting it back in from below. Please note this was still with the gearbox attached. Also if doing it from above you would need to angle the engine and box in so as to miss the battery tray, and make sure not to hit the radiator.

Anthony
Also if doing it from above you would need to angle the engine and box in so as to miss the battery tray, and make sure not to hit the radiator.

Easiest thing is to remove the battery tray (four bolts) and the radiator (lifts out once the hoses and slam panel are off), although you'll still need to angle the engine/box to clear the passenger side chassis leg. Certainly if you've access to an engine crane, I'd say that lifting it out from above is the easiest thing and means that you don't need to disturb the subframe/steering rack etc

jonnie205

yep out the top

Sign in to follow this