• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Simsy

Oil Temp Low?

Simsy

Me again.

My oil temp is very low, i assumed it was just a combo of the weather and me driving really slow as i was nursing it on an 8 year old cambelt :unsure:

With the cambelt, tensioners and water pump done this afternoon (+ lots of scars to boot!) i gave it some beans and still it was low?

What is the normal running temp, i'd assume 90 - 100 under normal to hard driving and 110+ when really giving it some beans but as the guage shows no temp, just marks i'm not sure if something is maybe wrong with the temp sensor, i assume its the one on the sump? Where should it sit, i struggle to get the needle past the second marking.

jj205

MY 1.6 yesterday on a long motorway trip got to the second mark as did my 1.9 when it was on a long run, ive never been past the second mark. It does take a while to get there someting like 30 mins id say. My 206 is the same as it has the oil temp in ht esame place on dash, and thats not that old yet.

Jonathan

Anthony

If you've got an air-oil cooler fitted, it will be difficult to get much heat into the oil in this weather unless you're driving at constant high-revs in my experience.

With no oil cooler, or the water-oil heat exchanger, it's a bit easier getting heat into the oil, but even so, it still won't climb very high during road use at this time of year

welshpug
PICT0089-1.jpg

damien

my oil temp sits as the pic above shows (when normal driving)

mattbenselin

When I start the car the oil temp. needle runs round to the red then back to 0. Then never moves from there at all. I've checked the wiring and that seems ok so is it the gauge or the sender?

Simsy

I find it hard to believe mine isn't getting to 90 degrees under normal driving.

I have the remote water/oil heat exhanger, which is similar to my old GTi 6 which used to warm up very quickly, perhaps as the sensor was in the oil gallery rather than the sump. I think i'll change the sensor next oil change anyway.

GLPoomobile

Under 'normal' driving, I've always seen the first mark on the gauge whether it be standard 1.6, standard 1.9 (but without any cooler) or standard Mi (again, without a cooler). I see the 2nd mark when cruising on the motorway at about 80-90, and only see any higher if really ragging the tits off of it for a few minutes. From the 1st mark on the gauge, it does take a good few minutes of prolonged and consistent ragging to get the temperature up to the 2nd mark and beyond, in my limited experience.

Simsy

Yeah, just did a 150 mile round trip and at 80 ish it was getting up to the second mark. Couldn't get it past that even when i got excited down the lanes :)

It doesn't really feel like it wants to rev past 5000 rpm really, silly little 8v unit :P

Tom Fenton
It doesn't really feel like it wants to rev past 5000 rpm really, silly little 8v unit :)

What you actually mean is silly 1.9 8v unit.

The 1600 engine pulls harder the more you rev it, very rewarding to drive, unlike the 1900 which although has good torque low down, tails off as the revs increase.

Simsy
What you actually mean is silly 1.9 8v unit.

The 1600 engine pulls harder the more you rev it, very rewarding to drive, unlike the 1900 which although has good torque low down, tails off as the revs increase.

The 1.9 is a good engine, just that when compared to my old GTi-6 its pretty breathless after 5000 rpm. I promised to keep this standard ofcourse so i can't go messing with it, it'll just have to do as it is! :)

Isn't the 1.6 engine the same bore but a much shorter stroke? In which case i'd imagine it really does enjoy the revs, couple that to the shorter gear ratios it sounds like fun :P

I wouldn't mind having a 1.6 aswell, is this what happens when you buy one 205, you want to then buy another one? :o

Ethos

Mine normally sits on the bottom mark and only goes up to 1/2 when i'm hammering it (and it gets there pretty fast). If I take it easy again it's pretty much back right at the bottom :)

base-1
When I start the car the oil temp. needle runs round to the red then back to 0. Then never moves from there at all. I've checked the wiring and that seems ok so is it the gauge or the sender?

You've got the gauge connected to the sender for the warning light :)

rapidcossie

looks like i had mine at nearly 150 on the last track day lol

Guest TEXR2000
PICT0089-1.jpg

My water temp (205 Mi16) Goes Up To Almost 110'c It has a 98'c fan switch in the rad tho :)

welshpug

it may well do if it's running on the Mi16 sender, I believe that runs at a different resistance.

Guest TEXR2000
it may well do if it's running on the Mi16 sender, I believe that runs at a different resistance.

Ah i thought it would be something like that. i still need to sort out the oil pressure and temp gauges, would imagine its a matter of finding the senders and finding the loom plugs.

rapidcossie

where did the pic of the gauges with the numbers come from?

Are they official readings?

I cant believe that 150 deg oil temps are not deemed dangerous and the red light looks like 160 or more.

welshpug

thats from the Peugeot Handbook, the one that come in the glovebox.

Simsy
thats from the Peugeot Handbook, the one that come in the glovebox.

I think that 150 is about the limit for most engine oils! Hence the huge red light that appears! :rolleyes:

welshpug

110 to 130 I believe isnt a problem for a decent quality oil, but if it creeps higher you've got serious problems elsewhere!

as commented, the 8v engine does run pretty cool under normal running, and takes some working to get heat into the oil.

GLPoomobile

There isn't a warning light for the oil temp. There's no bulb fitted behind the dash in that spot.

Edited by GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
You've got the gauge connected to the sender for the warning light :rolleyes:

In theory that sounds plausible except for 2 things. 1, there is no sender (switch) for the warning light, since there is no oil temp warning light. So if it was mistakenly connected to a switch it would have to be the oil low pressure switch or the coolant high temp switch. 2, the needle wouldn't flick to full and back on start, it would go to full with ignition on and back to 0 when the engine is started, certainly if wired in to the oil pressure switch at least. I can't remember if the high coolant temp warning light comes on at ignition.

Simsy
In theory that sounds plausible except for 2 things. 1, there is no sender (switch) for the warning light, since there is no oil temp warning light. So if it was mistakenly connected to a switch it would have to be the oil low pressure switch or the coolant high temp switch. 2, the needle wouldn't flick to full and back on start, it would go to full with ignition on and back to 0 when the engine is started, certainly if wired in to the oil pressure switch at least. I can't remember if the high coolant temp warning light comes on at ignition.

High coolant temp should come on with ignition as should low oil pressure, not sure about oil temp. Think you are right there, there is no light for that.

base-1

D'oh, yeah I meant pressure warning light not temperature

Sign in to follow this