• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
trialster

[engine_work] 309 Gti 16v.

trialster

hey guys, havent really conributed much to this forum yet but i should start mi16ing my 309 soon, so i'll be posting updates and pictures along the way. other work that need doing includes..

- All bumper mounts need to be replaced, i shall be doing this with sheet steel.

- the mi16 engine swap (from a 405 i bought a month ago)

- rear beam rebuild

- rear brake rebuild

i may be doing other things such as larger brakes (from the 405?!?) and i might get round to making a roll cage for it :unsure:

the car as it stands (i painted the wheels just after buying the car.

post-11668-1225052224_thumb.jpg

post-11668-1225052384_thumb.jpg

any comments would be appreciated.

Will

RossD

Nice car! Are you going to rebuilding the engine before it goes in?

decoc182

Good day skipper i heard ur from dowm my way init.. Do u know jij?? I've just bought his 205. Da 309 looks nice matey, im currentlly gunna put a new engine into the 205 aswell, not sure which engine yet, do u know will the gti-6 enigne fit into the 1400 shell? keep up the good work skipper lovage xx

cybernck

no TXT SPK please!

24seven

any updates? :wacko:

trialster
Nice car! Are you going to rebuilding the engine before it goes in?

no i wont be, mainly due to the cost/time of doing it. i'm going to be replacing the cam cover gasket and paint the cam cover. i shall be replacing a couple of temp sensors and gaskets whilst its out.

Good day skipper i heard ur from dowm my way init.. Do u know jij?? I've just bought his 205. Da 309 looks nice matey, im currentlly gunna put a new engine into the 205 aswell, not sure which engine yet, do u know will the gti-6 enigne fit into the 1400 shell? keep up the good work skipper lovage xx

yeah mate, course a gti-6 engine will fit in a 205 :)

any updates? :)

yeees! i'll get some pictures soon...

engine's out of the 405. i've already re-angled the exhaust manifold and painted it. also stripped and primered the cam cover ready for a coat of colour. also have fitted a grp n lower engine mount, which took about 10 minutes (compared to the 6 hrs to do my old 205 one....soo much better with the mounting in a vice ;)

also might try and get my hands on a 1.6 box and mix and match ratios from the three boxes i'll have.

DrSarty
also might try and get my hands on a 1.6 box and mix and match ratios from the three boxes i'll have.

If you plan to do mainly blatting and not much motorway work, 1.6 box all the way chief. :)

trialster
If you plan to do mainly blatting and not much motorway work, 1.6 box all the way chief. :)

yeah i realise this, but i'm going to be doing a fair bit of motorway.

what i was thinking is

1st 2nd 3rd and 4th from a 1.6 box, and a 5th from the 1.9 and the final drive from a 1.9 8v or 16v..

hmm...

Miles

it's only 1st that differ's in the 1.6 and 1.9 box's, bar the FD of course, just use the 16v box

trialster

ok cheers guys, i'll crack the box off the mi to see how much life's left in the clutch plate whilst the engine's out.

taa

24seven

if you don't use the Mi box, I know where it can find a good home :rolleyes:

trialster

thats the 309 as it stands, with the 405 donor car there too

post-11668-1227622951_thumb.jpg

heres the 309, ready for the engine to come out

post-11668-1227623005_thumb.jpg

pugman211

looking good matey!!! Reminds me of when i put the mi16 in my car!!! What a head wreck it was at first, but got when i fired her up and she ran perfectly first time, i was well chuffed!!!!!

24seven

good to see you cracking on with this bud. When you're done, you fancy investigating the problem with my Mi :D? I don't have the time while I'm at uni :ph34r:

You gonna have a go at the bumper on the 309 while it's off too? bar the dodgy re-colouration of some of the trim by whoever had it last, that 309 is mint :blush:

trialster
looking good matey!!! Reminds me of when i put the mi16 in my car!!! What a head wreck it was at first, but got when i fired her up and she ran perfectly first time, i was well chuffed!!!!!

hehe, yeah, i'm still trying to get the wiring sorted in my head before i start with removing the looms and joining the appropriate wires. wiring is my favourite part of car work because i do it very methodically and get a good sense of achievement, more so than bodywork and general spannering :D

good to see you cracking on with this bud. When you're done, you fancy investigating the problem with my Mi :ph34r:? I don't have the time while I'm at uni :(

You gonna have a go at the bumper on the 309 while it's off too? bar the dodgy re-colouration of some of the trim by whoever had it last, that 309 is mint B)

yeh man, i'd be happy to take a look. maybe its as simple as the 'shaft has come away from its home? and as for the bumpers, i have a complete bumper and trim kit for it, all secondhand but they haven't been butchered with s*it paint :blush:

trialster

anyone got a black 309 bonnet? :( mine flew up in the wind and bent the mounts and the bonnet itself :(

other than that i've removed the engine and will start on the wiring soon. i've brass bushed and shortened the gear shift L-plate to shorten the throw slightly.

trialster

bit of an update, i'm sorry i haven't been taking many pictures, i've just wanted to get this thing done! :D

heres what i do have...

post-11668-1230848940_thumb.jpg

post-11668-1230849008_thumb.jpg