• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo

Wheel Rubbing, Beam Probs?

Ricardo

The inside edge has just started rubbing against the inner arch in the last week although the camber (is this when the top and bottom of the wheels are different track width?) has always looked a bit strange! the photo shows the camber when no weight on the wheels/beam and looks the same when sitting on the road/suspension. I was told the car had been lowered 40mm.

I can't find any play in the wheel/beam with my hands when gripping the tyre top and bottom when jacked up, (so wheel bearings are OK) or with crowbar but when sat on the road and I grab the top of the tyre and pull/push quick and hard there is a bit of play and light knocking. The rear rubber 'sandwich' Beam mount is split in two (see second photo, the mount is being prized open with screwdriver)).

Does this mean the trail arm/beam bearings are worn or could it be the split rear 'sandwich' rubber mount?

Was about to sell the car but can't like this.

Any info or help much appreciated.

post-11787-1225044113_thumb.jpg

post-11787-1225044672_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ricardo

welshpug

that looks rather knackered and very dangerous!!

RossD

Thats an MOT failure for a start (Both the rubbing and the mount) But hopefully by replacing the mounts you'll sort the rubbing!

welshpug

replacing the mount wont cure the dead beam....

Ricardo

Just passed an MOT 3 weeks ago with 'nothing' needed just advised slight wear on offside track rod end ball, which I have just bought the pair to replace!!

It is only slight rubbing tho!! :unsure:

DamirGTI

No this is serious :unsure: if you get lucky and find that the beam tube is still usable (judging from the pics i really don't think that it'll be so .. however you never know until you dismantle the beam ..) you'll most certainly need new arm shaft and , of course , an set of bearings for rebuild ..

Best luck !

Damir :ph34r:

RossD
replacing the mount wont cure the dead beam....

That depends if the play he felt was due to the knackered mount... But yes, looking at the negative camber there, the beams probably pretty dead too.

Ricardo

Ok...

Would squeeking indicate f*cked radius arm bearings? Along with the camber?

It's easy enough to move the wheels up and down so they aren't seized (small mercy!) yet :unsure:

So...

new mount kit (BakerBushes solid £40?)

Inner and outer bearings each side (£5 ea x 4?)

Trail arm shaft (£60 ea) with bearings and seals one side (£90?)

or

beam with bearings (£299)

Full rear major overhaul kit (£460 OMG!! don't know what this includes but I would hope new tortion bars, tube, bearings, mounts, seals, shafts, arms, ARB and somebody to come and fit it and make me cups of T!)

Read somebody refurbing for £200?

Ricardo

Cheers for the input guys....looks like I'll be busy inbetween showers!

Well luckily the missus won't be driving soon so I'll be using the mondildo!

Ricardo

One last thing....

All the articles I've read are saying removal of calipers to alow the beam to be removed. Can I remove the drum/backplate etc to leave the brake pipes attached?

Thanks again!

welshpug
One last thing....

All the articles I've read are saying removal of calipers to alow the beam to be removed. Can I remove the drum/backplate etc to leave the brake pipes attached?

Thanks again!

If you're careful yes, I've done it that way a few times to save disturbing the brake lines.

Ricardo

Cheers...Spent yesterday in the sun removing the beam....but all is NOT WELL :D

Couldn't even split the exhaust! luckily it would hang and swivel on the cupped joint. Managed on my own but a bit of a scrat...that bloody bracket thing attached in the middle of the beam....what's that all about? :D

Anyway pics coming for a bit of advise.....(well a lot probably)....

Ricardo

Thought the strip down was going well. Everything was eventually coming apart. Nothing too seized or broken....until trying to split the arms from the tubes and tortion bars!

A bit of friendly persuasion, one side came away easy with a tap with the hammer, the other side wouldn't shift until...

post-11787-1225645407_thumb.jpg

Ricardo

Your views on these please..

post-11787-1225645624_thumb.jpg

Ricardo

No wonder they were tight!

post-11787-1225645788_thumb.jpg

deep scoring on tube and shaft. Couldn't see any rollers at all, there was just wot looked like half a shell bearing!

Would it be cheaper to buy a full recon beam and add mounts? Or buy a tube, shafts, bearings, seals etc..? I would need to get someone to press the old shafts out and then in with the new.

Anyone recommend anyone round Nuneaton, Midlands (Tony 205) as I'm gonna get some refurbed wheels while I'm down there.

Once again your advise is most well and truly appreciated...

DamirGTI

I hate to say this but that beam is scrap iron :) however nothing unusual these days .. save the torsion bars/arb , arms , shocks (if they're still good ...) and scrap the beam tube ..

You should be able to find good second hand beam over here :) , or at least just the beam tube and then you can rebuild it by yourself with this saved parts from your beam (torsion bars , arms etc.) and an set of bearings and new arm shafts .. (new beam tube is a bit pricey , on the other hand it's suppled with bearings already pre-fitted so me thinks that it's up to you on how long you've been planing to keep this car really :lol: .. but still , bar the beam tube , you'll need new arm shafts as well and you'll need to buy them separately ..)

Damir B)

Edited by DamirGTI

Ricardo

Cheers Damir, Yeah as soon as I saw the arm/shaft coming out of the beam tube I could see it was a gonna!

All the torsion bars/arb and shocks are spot on! Amazed at how good the shocks are.

I had the car on e-bay with a winning bid but they never got in touch, then a week later.....So I'll probably keep the car. The underside is amazingly rot free!!

Might get a set of gear linkages too!

Ricardo

Just been to local scrapper and for £35 they will take a 309 full beam assembly off too drums included! :rolleyes: There is a 205 one also but a bit of lateral movement in that one.

But I only want the crossmember & shafts.

If I take it off...£15 B)

jackherer

You'll need 309 bars for a 309 crossmember, 205 ones aren't long enough. Apologies if you know this already and I've missed something but it sounds like you are planning on rebuilding your 205 beam into a 309 non-GTI one...

Ricardo

Damn I read the part numbers wrong! :rolleyes: 205=5148 48 309=5148 49

Thanks for that jackherer could save a lot of hasstle.

How would the 205GTi be with the 309 assembly? Too soft? Didn't notice if the 309 was a GTi.

Cheers

Richard

DamirGTI

309 beam is nice upgrade as long as you use GTi torsion bars/ARB :rolleyes: , so either try to find complete 309 GTi beam (but be careful that it's a good un !) , or still could build it using beam tube out of any 309 + arms from your old 205 GTi beam (if you find good 309 beam from base model with drum brakes just whip off the arms and fit 205 ones with discs brakes ..) + and most important you'll need to find 309 GTi torsion bars/arb (or could use Peugeot Partner/Ctroen Berlingo torsion bars + 306 GTi-6 ARB ..) fit them on and that's it ..

Damir B)

Ricardo

Cheers again Damir......Help!! Overload overload....I have read hours and hours of searched posts..and been on "servicebox" for hours comparing part numbers this afternoon... sorry to go on but it is so good being able to learn about these things from those that know ...here goes..(but first how do I know from/to series number my car relates?)

309 GTi beam will go straight in? (although I would strip it out and refurb)

Standard would but too soft? Standard 309 with 309 GTi ARBs/TBs OK?

I can pick up a 205 crossmember for £55 used but clean and ready for bearings.

the 309 arm shafts if good will do as these are the same and the 205 GTi ARB/TBs...

Thanks again

Richard

boombang
309 GTi beam will go straight in? (although I would strip it out and refurb)

Standard would but too soft? Standard 309 with 309 GTi ARBs/TBs OK?

I can pick up a 205 crossmember for £55 used but clean and ready for bearings.

the 309 arm shafts if good will do as these are the same and the 205 GTi ARB/TBs...

309 beam straight fit, just need to turn around the rear mounts to suit (obvious when you have them in your hand!)

A base model 309 beam will be too sort, but Gti spec is fine. I have a set of 21.5mm torsion bars for a 309 beam if you get stuck.

To fit the discs you will need to swap the stub axles over as discs one's longer. I actually have all the bits to fit discs plus calipers and discs if you were stuck again (I swapped to drums for the rallycar)

The 309 shafts are the same, but likely to need replacing even on a base model - you might get lucky though.

Ricardo

I got two complete beams in the end.

The scrap man took a 309 and a 205 off cars for me, I just went and picked them up...£40 for both :lol:

Stripped the 205 down and it's good so don't need the 309 one!

post-11787-1227213909.jpg

two top pics are original the two bottom pics are off the scrapper! :lol:

Must have been refurbed in the past as all the seals and cups are sweet!

Mind you new ones are going on.

munster

I think you got very lucky there. Good find!

Sign in to follow this