• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Chaff

Getting Under Steer Now I Have Speedline Alloys?

Chaff

I can't work this out and was wondering if anyone had any sort of insight to my problem.

I have just brought my first gti and it came with TWS venoms with 195/50/15" tyres. I brought a set of speedline alloys with almost new tyres all the way round, since i have installed them the steering is very light and the car under steers alot. I can't work out what i have done if anything, because surely the stock wheels shouldn't make the handling noticeable worse.

Regasrds Matt

jimistdt

Cant have anything to do with your wheels IMO, It must be the tyre pressures or a change of tyre.

Check your pressures, should be at 29 PSI front and rear.

chris1986

i've just put some goodyear excellence on mine, i set to 30 psi and the steering feels really light, almost like powersteering.

welshpug

tyre choice + pressure, as well as driving style.

Chaff

The psi was checked when i brought the car and when i put the new wheels on. So that shouldn't change anything.

The old tyres were AVON and the new YOKOHAMI. Which really doesn't make sense.

I have gone from cheapy tyres to half descent. Plus the tyres i have now, have a little more tread.

As for driving style it was me before and its me now :rolleyes:

i've just put some goodyear excellence on mine, i set to 30 psi and the steering feels really light, almost like powersteering.

Thats a good way to explain it. I thought great at the start easy to park. But when i was going round a bend at half the speed i have done before and it felt like i was gonna lose control. I wasn't happy.

I don't understand there MUST be a logical expansion!

welshpug

I wouldn't call Avon's cheap :rolleyes:

if they are new tyres they will take a while to wear in, I didn't find my A539's brilliant in the wet, but better than Toyo's.

rapidcossie
I wouldn't call Avon's cheap :unsure:

if they are new tyres they will take a while to wear in, I didn't find my A539's brilliant in the wet, but better than Toyo's.

the yokos are pretty crap IMO.

My 205 underteered really bad with yokos, swapped to 888's an the handling was transformed!

Chaff

They arn't new but i will have to give them some time see if the problem sorts it self out.

I am just amazed it made soooo much difference.

BusEngineer

I had a similar experience when i went from SMRs with crappy tyres to Speedlines and Goodyear Eagle F1s, my opinion is its to do with decent tyres and maybe (worrying about being shot down!! :ph34r: ) maybe a slightly lower unsprung wieght, with the speedlines been a bit lighter than the SMRs :unsure:

Chaff

So after your eagle f1's wore in did the handling get better? Or am i getting confused here?

BusEngineer

Still on them now, been on since february, on my daily driver, no difference in grip once the newness was worn off, solid tyre, good light steering with good feel

Am i way off with unsprung weight thing??

kjd4000

its just the newer tyres that you have on there. I had the same when i had my new toyos fitted a couple of weeks ago, steering really light feels like im going to crash when i go round a corner. You just have to let them wear in and they will be fine.

Chaff

Sweet. May have to have a mini burn out :unsure:

Paintguy
, I didn't find my A539's brilliant in the wet,

A candidate for understatement of the year!

I recently had some new boots fitted on the front of my car (Yoko A539 to F1's) and my first drive in it was unnerving to say the least! I thought I'd made a huge mistake in buying the Goodyears, but after a few days of 'wearing them in' :unsure: and setting the pressures correctly, I find they've transformed my car. Maybe it's a trait of the yoko's that they make the steering feel heavy?

kjd4000

Personally i just drove a few hundred miles. but each to their own.

welshpug

They were better than the Firestone Firehawks and Toyo's :unsure:

jimistdt
Am i way off with unsprung weight thing??

There is actually something behind it, and it can make a difference, but unless the Venom is considerably lighter than the Speedline I woulndn't have thought there'd be such a difference in handling.

Dont suppose you know the weight of you old alloy and tyre do you?

Edited by jimistdt

Chaff
Dont suppose you know the weight of you old alloy and tyre do you?

Just been out side with the old bathroom scales and 1 wheel plus tyre weighes 2 stone 10 pounds. Which google says is 13.3356157 kilograms

Personally i just drove a few hundred miles. but each to their own.

I drive though loads on country lanes i would perfer to do i little burnout than crash my car. Because it feels like i am driving on air atm. But i get ya point :unsure:

Edited by Chaff

jimistdt

I'm quite interested in this now.

Depending how accurate your bathroom scales are the Venom and Tyre is something like 1.5Kg lighter than the 15 " Speedline and Tyre which seems to weigh ~15Kg from what I can find on here.

6Kg's unsprung mass altogether, thats quite alot. I think its fair to say there should be a difference in the way the car 'feels' regarding acceleration and braking, but I have never considered that it may be such an important factor in the handling :unsure:

Henry 1.9GTi

sorry to side track, but on the A539 thing...

I did a track day in the pouring rain at brands with these tyres and they were really good. Just take some warming up, on the road esp in the wet they are stone cold and just slide all over the place. After a good spirited drive in the dry they grip well, and on track again need warming and don't go off after 5 laps like certain toyos. Still need more negative camber though looking at the wear pattern!

Chaff

Why do light wheels make heavy steering and heavy wheels make light steering.

Sign in to follow this